Re: My 18 year old daughter has income, can I claim her as a dependent?

"morgslife" wrote:

My daughter lived with me 12 months in 2007. She turned 18 in August. She
got a job and made about $7000.00 in income and they took out a combined
$800.00 in taxes. She didn't claim herself while she was working. This is
the last year I will be able to claim her on the earned income credit. She
also is enrolled in college since last fall, it that makes a difference.

It makes no difference for 2007, but it will make a difference for 2008 and
beyond if she's a full-time student.

Can I let her file an EZ form and not claim herself and then claim her on
my taxes as a dependent? If anyone has any suggestions or know what I
should do, please let me know. All help appreciated.

It boils down to whether she provided more than half her own support for
2006. See IRS Publication 501 for a description of what constitutes
support.

If she provided more than half her own support for 2007 you cannot claim her
as a dependent. If she didn't, you can. If she's a full-time student in
2008 the rules are the same as for 2007, including the rules for EITC.

If she is your dependent for 2007 she files her return showing she's a
dependent. If she isn't, you can't claim her as a dependent, but you can
still claim her as a qualifying child for EITC.

--
Phil Marti
Clarksburg, MD

  • Re: Are We Ready for - the Give Back Times ?
    ... I support the recommendations of the president's deficit ... Old age is catching up with you - I just answered this very question ... income taxes. ... honest to leave out payroll taxes in your calculation when you insist ...
    (soc.retirement)
  • Re: VERY OT: Quick Tax Prayers
    ... my anger, disgust, disbelief at the poles going up without ... income range you can get extra money back on your taxes. ... Some years we are allowed to claim kiri as a dependent, ...
    (rec.crafts.textiles.quilting)
  • Re: VERY OT: Quick Tax Prayers
    ... i'll get the poles removed or replaced with telescopic ... income range you can get extra money back on your taxes. ... Some years we are allowed to claim kiri as a dependent, ...
    (rec.crafts.textiles.quilting)
  • Re: VERY OT: Quick Tax Prayers
    ... it was called dependents exemptions or deductions off the gross income. ... When we make enough to file, taxes get really screwy at our house. ... Some years we are allowed to claim kiri as a dependent, ...
    (rec.crafts.textiles.quilting)
  • My 18 year old daughter has income, can I claim her as a dependent?
    ... $800.00 in taxes. ... the last year I will be able to claim her on the earned income credit. ... also is enrolled in college since last fall, ... my taxes as a dependent? ...
    (misc.taxes)