Basic query about deduction

I have 2 questions:

1) Suppose I bought a home for $40000 30 years ago. I then buy a new home
for $200,000 on 3/1/06. I finally sell my old house for $140,000 on 6/1/06.
OK, now there is a $100,000 gain on the old house. Does this still get
deferred since I bought a new home or do I just use the Capital Gain
Exclusion (RE: 2006 taxes).

2) Given the previous scenario, it means I have been paying property taxes
for TWO homes for a 3-month period. Can I deduct all property taxes
(assuming I itemize). The first house is paid for, so there is no interest
deduction on that.

Mel

.