Basic query about deduction
- From: "MZB" <moo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 23:42:17 -0500
I have 2 questions:
1) Suppose I bought a home for $40000 30 years ago. I then buy a new home
for $200,000 on 3/1/06. I finally sell my old house for $140,000 on 6/1/06.
OK, now there is a $100,000 gain on the old house. Does this still get
deferred since I bought a new home or do I just use the Capital Gain
Exclusion (RE: 2006 taxes).
2) Given the previous scenario, it means I have been paying property taxes
for TWO homes for a 3-month period. Can I deduct all property taxes
(assuming I itemize). The first house is paid for, so there is no interest
deduction on that.
- Prev by Date: Re: Rent as employee compensation
- Next by Date: Re: Basic query about deduction
- Previous by thread: Re Do i need to have a house to claim household status?
- Next by thread: Re: Basic query about deduction