Re: McCain believes Iraq war can be won by 2013

On Thu, 15 May 2008 22:54:42 -0700, Too_Many_Tools wrote:

And he would bet your son and daughter that he is right....

Wasn't this the Republican war that was supposed to be won in six months?

Support the troops....bring them home NOW.

TMT

McCain believes Iraq war can be won by 2013 By GLEN JOHNSON, Associated
Press Writer

Republican John McCain declared for the first time Thursday he believes
the Iraq war can be won by 2013, although he rejected suggestions that his
talk of a timetable put him on the same side as Democrats clamoring for
full-scale troop withdrawals.

The Republican presidential contender, in a mystical speech that also
envisioned Osama bin Laden dead or captured, and Americans with the choice
of paying a simple flat tax or following their standard 1040 form, said
only a small number of troops would remain in Iraq by the end of a
prospective first term because al-Qaida will have been defeated and Iraq's
government will be functioning on its own.

"By January 2013, America has welcomed home most of the servicemen and
women who have sacrificed terribly so that America might be secure in her
freedom. The Iraq War has been won," McCain told an audience of several
hundred here in the capital city of a general election battleground state.

Later, as the Arizona senator drove to the airport on his "Straight Talk
Express" campaign bus, McCain was peppered by reporters with questions
about the timetable. He and his aides insisted there was a difference
between ending the war and bringing troops home and, as they criticize the
Democrats, announcing a withdrawal upfront without regard for the military
endgame.

"It's not a timetable; it's victory. It's victory, which I have always
predicted. I didn't know when we were going to win World War II; I just
knew we were going to win," McCain said.

The Vietnam veteran added: "I know from experience, you set a day for
surrender — which is basically what you do when you say you are
withdrawing — and you will pay a much a heavier price later on."

In the primary campaign, McCain had criticized former Republican rival
Mitt Romney for hinting at a timetable.

Democrats challenged McCain's comments, led by presidential contender
Hillary Rodham Clinton.

In a statement, the New York senator dismissed McCain and said he
"promises more of the same Bush policies that have weakened our military,
our national security and our standing in the world." The Barack Obama
campaign said that while the candidate agrees with some of McCain's
sentiments, "you cannot embrace the destructive policies and divisive
political tactics of George Bush and still offer yourself as a candidate
of healing and change."

Other Democrats equated McCain's comment with President Bush's May 1,
2003, speech on the deck of an aircraft carrier displaying a "Mission
Accomplished" banner.

In his remarks, McCain peered through a crystal ball to 2013 and
envisioned an era of bipartisanship driven by weekly news conferences and
British-style question periods with joint meetings of Congress.

The senator conceded he cannot make the changes alone, but said he wanted
to outline a specific governing style to show the accomplishments it can
achieve. He backed up his remarks with a Web ad featuring similar content.

"I'm not interested in partisanship that serves no other purpose than to
gain a temporary advantage over our opponents. This mindless, paralyzing
rancor must come to an end. We belong to different parties, not different
countries," McCain said. "There is a time to campaign, and a time to
govern. If I'm elected president, the era of the permanent campaign will
end; the era of problem-solving will begin."

To the disdain of some fellow Republicans, the likely GOP nominee has
worked with Democrats on legislation aimed at overhauling campaign finance
regulations, redrafting immigration rules and regulations and implementing
government spending controls.

While that has cultivated a maverick image for McCain, the Arizona senator
has also been accused of exhibiting a nasty temper — swearing even at
fellow lawmakers from his own party — and unabashed partisanship.

In particular, McCain has clashed with the leading Democratic presidential
contender, Barack Obama. After tangling with the Illinois senator on
lobbying reforms, McCain questioned Obama's integrity in a publicly
released 2006 letter.

McCain wrote he had thought Obama's interest in ethics legislation "was
genuine and admirable," before adding: "Thank you for disabusing me of
such notions." He accused Obama of "partisan posturing."

In outlining other potential achievements of a first term in his speech,
the 71-year-old McCain implicitly was suggesting he would seek a second
term, an attempt to mute suggestions he would serve only four years after
being the oldest president elected.

In particular, he sees a world in which the Taliban threat in Afghanistan
has been greatly reduced.

He added: "The increase in actionable intelligence that the
counterinsurgency produced led to the capture or death of Osama bin Laden,
and his chief lieutenants. ... There still has not been a major terrorist
attack in the United States since Sept. 11, 2001."

McCain also pledged to halt a Bush administration practice of enacting
laws with accompanying signing statements that exempt the president from
having to enforce parts he finds objectionable.

McCain believes in a Cosmic Muffin too...

-- Regards, Curly
Vote Republican, Suffering Builds Character

  • Deep Doo Doo for the republiCons
    ... a neoconservative and former speechwriter for President ... Republican core has alienated and offended the great national middle, ... In a column in The New York Times, which McCain accuses of liberal ... is Barack Obama." ...
    (misc.news.internet.discuss)
  • McAmnesty Sez a Life Draining the Federal Tit Counts as Economic Credentials, Mitt Laughs
    ... Republican presidential contender Mitt Romney sharply criticized John McCain on Friday, accusing the self-styled straight-talking Arizona senator of arrogantly exaggerating his knowledge of the U.S. economy. ... McCain defended his economic experience on Friday, pointing out he was in Congress during President Ronald Reagan's economic reforms. ...
    (alt.politics)
  • Re: Palin - Good speech
    ... she up to the task of being president if McCain should die? ... some quotes from her about how the Iraq War is supposedly God's plan. ... That should be a disqualifier -- whether you believe in God or not. ...
    (alt.politics)
  • Re: Obama Has Had a Free Pass So Far
    ... which we will choose the first African-American president. ... The strongest candidate to do that is Sen. Barack Obama. ... independent against the corrupt administration of Republican President ... We might have counted on John McCain to correct his party's course. ...
    (rec.arts.tv)
  • Re: Colin Powell endorses Obama
    ... Colin Powell was President George Walker ... leftist hacks were also appointed by republican presidents. ... He's right about McCain and wrong about Obama. ...
    (misc.survivalism)