Re: OT - Is torture moral?

People come to the usenet for various reasons.

Sometimes, I like to give a little hell to the people I consider wrong headed.

Sometimes, I like to engage in an intellectual discussion.

I can see why colleges have entrance requirements. Some people cannot tolerate intellectual discussions.

What I wanted to get at in a couple of these threads, like "Intelligent Design" and this torture thread, was at the moral principles - why we believe the things we do. The old saying goes "ask yourself why five times".

Some people object to the idea of a rhetorical hypothetical situation. They don't say why. I suppose they can't understand the idea of a given, the idea of an "ideal" or the idea of the abstract hypothetical. They seem to only want to discuss specific issues. One wonders if this is because they work to a hidden agenda, and wish to explain why when they do it, it is right, and when the opposition does it, it is wrong. These people are the same ones that don't utter a word in protest of Al Qaeda's and the Iraqi insurgents violations of the GCs, but complain loud, long and persistant when they find even a hint that the GCs or their false impression of the GCs have not been followed by our side.
This can only be explained by a strong political bais.

A couple of people immediately try and make it a personal issue. "Stuart Grey believes in torture" and so on.

I'm not going to respond to these type of replies in this thread. All it does is polute the thread and fills it up with their endless hateful bickering. I'll save my hateful bickering for other threads. :-)

Does the idea of a given bother many of you? It's de rigueur in science.

You have the ideal gas, the ideal frictionless plane, and so on.

An science class that had someone bicker that there is no such thing as the idea gas in a physics class would be tossed out in short order for being disruptive.

Yes, there is no "100% sure". It's an ideal. Like Gallileo's ideal frictionless plane that over turned Aristotle's assertion that all moving things must come to rest, and set the stage for Newtonian mechanics. These abstract ideas serve useful purposes, contrary to the claims the low browed uneducated make in this thread.

Because we can never know with absolute certainty our captive is guilty, we MIGHT conclude that we can't torture while admitting that if we could be absolutely certain we could. But we are not going to get there with some of the lessor minds that are posting to this thread.

.