Re: moving a grandfather clock

On Aug 20, 2:49 pm, enigma <eni...@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
my late grandmother had a grandfather clock that was built for
her by my mom's godfather. apparently i'm the only one in the
family that wants the clock, and it's in southwestern NY and
i'm in NH.
 the clock is 6 feet, 10 inches tall, so it will fit into our
8' bed pickup, but i'm not sure if it should be transported
laying down. anyone know if doing so will muck up the
mechanism? my dad says he thinks the weights can be removed,
but he's not sure about the pendulum.
 has anyone moved a grandfather clock? should we use the
pickup or rent something we can stand it upright in? how does
one secure the guts when moving it? i'm sure you guys all have
lots of advice ;)
lee
--

I've moved so many grandfather and grandmother clocks the past few
years I want to vomit every time I even see one of them.

Remove the pendulum, they are usually just hooked on the movement.
Remove the weights but mark them left, center and right first as they
usually need to go back on in the same order. They usually weigh
differrently.
Take a twisty or 2 and tie the chains together in a bundle.
You should be able to lay the clock down on it's back at this point.
When you get it to whereever you are moving it to, it will need to be
leveled
right away. Then put the pendulum & weights back in place. Should be
good
to go then.

Randy

  • Re: Marcus du Sautoy flufs clock explanation
    ... When looking at the old Salisbury clock he ... Of course most pendulum clocks are powered by weights as well. ...
    (uk.media.tv.misc)
  • Re: Women, Men, and the Novel
    ... Morrisons have an annoying habit of quoting prices per imperial measure, ... clock, in over 200 years, whereas their weights and lengths are ... A 10-hour clock could be devised, but it wouldn't have easily identifiable quarter-hours. ... I'm a complete believer in decimal units for distance, weight, money etc but I can't see any real advantage in decimal time. ...
    (uk.media.radio.archers)
  • Re: Grandfather Clock
    ... Something to do with resonance between the real pendulum and ... the variable length ones made by the weights. ... that's why I asked the OP if the clock was standing on carpet, swaying weights will rob the pendulum of motion through sympathetic action, a rickety case will have the same affect, and even thought the weights are swaying with the pendulum you may not notice the clock case moving at all. ...
    (alt.horology)
  • Re: Modern Grandfather Clock
    ... Anyway it was missing the weights. ... I put them on the clock and the clock ... the rack is sticky or jamming and is not falling all the way down to count off the strike, you should be able to take the hands and dial off then run the clock in the case sans dial but replace the hands, then you can see what is happening on the strike and chime. ...
    (alt.horology)
  • Re: Grandfather Clock
    ... so chain links are not a problem. ... that the weights sometimes swing slightly as if the movement of the ... ok, there is your problem, if the weights are swaying at all when they are getting near level with the pendulum bob, that is sympathetic action, the case is moving, it only has to be slight where you probably won't even notice it is doing it, I haven't seen a tile floor yet that was dead flat, the exception would be if the clock was sitting on one large tile. ... the clock itself sounds fine, the problem is you have to steady the case, if one foot is slightly longer then the other three or more likely the tile one of those feet is standing on is slightly higher than the others, the longer foot will work with the diagonally opposite foot to cause the case to rock. ...
    (alt.horology)