Re: More than 2T tons of ice melted in artic since '03

Putt wrote:
"Ernie Jurick" <invalidexample@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in

"Putt" <arachnid01@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
old.salt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote in

On Tue, 16 Dec 2008 11:20:04 GMT, Dave Head <rally2xs@xxxxxxx>
wrote:

On Tue, 16 Dec 2008 03:14:33 -0800, old.salt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

WASHINGTON (AP) - More than 2 trillion tons of land ice in
Greenland, Antarctica and Alaska have melted since 2003,
according to new NASA satellite data that show the latest signs
of what scientists say is global warming.

_Some_ scientists say this...

And it's funny, my workplace is right beside the Potomac River,
which is navigable all the way to the sea, and I don't seem to
need high-top boots to get in the door. Place is still dry?
Sooo... geee... where's this big ocean rise, eh?

And some people read the whole thing before foolishness:

Melting of land ice, unlike sea ice, increases sea levels very
slightly. In the 1990s, Greenland didn't add to world sea level
rise; now that island is adding about half a millimeter of sea
level rise a year, NASA ice scientist Jay Zwally said in a
telephone interview from the conference.

I do believe that this is wrong... The melting of SEA ice would have
very little effect on levels... The melting of land ice would
affect sea levels.... Of course, most of the land ice comes
from the sea in the first place....

You're right. Ice displaces as much as water does, so when it melts
there's no change in the sea level, just as there's no change when
the ice melts in your cocktail. It's land ice that's the threat,
which is why so much attention is being paid to Greenland and
Antarctica. Land ice is from precipitation, not from the sea.
-- Ernie

Ummm, Ernie, :-)
Where does most of the water vapor that is in the atmosphere come
from???

Putt...

The sea - where it just so happens it ain't right now, which is what
trillions of dollars worth of strategic seaports bank on for their
existence.

Y'know that nifty sort of coastal indentation that on a map means
'harbor'? Well, when the water goes up a very little bit, a lot of em don't
look like that any more.