Re: Debt offered to pay, refused, then sued

I would like legal opinions about this, since I realize common sense
opinions dont seem to coincide with legal opinions.

Lets say I owe someone $1000. I offer to pay them the $1000.

*WHAT* did you offer? Cash? check? money order? credit card?
debit card? Enron stock? Did you put any conditions on it like
he has to come get it at your convenience?

They refuse the money, tell me they dont want the money.
I believe if you offer someone *legal tender* (cash) in payment of
a debt (*debt* is a key word here), and they refuse it, you don't
have to pay the debt. I hope you have proof that this happened
(witnesses). There are, I believe some limits even on cash payments
(The IRS does not have to accept truckloads of pennies, and neither
do other creditors).

I am not a lawyer.

If you offer them some other sort of payment, and they refuse it,
the debt still exists.

What does that do to the debt, can they then come and sue me 5
months later.

  • Re: Removing Cap Virtually Eliminates SS Funding Gap
    ... > FICA tax surplus will pay down the debt, because there is no other use ... The government has no problem raising cash. ... > rate that banks must pay for the funds they lend. ... Income, not employment. ...
    (sci.econ)
  • )Only in your country (USA)
    ... - and pay cash. ... Debt turning shoppers into Scrooges ... their holiday shopping, and that generally means buying less. ...
    (rec.sport.pro-wrestling)
  • Re: Debt offered to pay, refused, then sued
    ... opinions dont seem to coincide with legal opinions. ... I believe if you offer someone *legal tender* (cash) in payment of ... have to pay the debt. ...
    (misc.legal)
  • Re: Sorta OT: Credit card for traveling?
    ... you pay cash. ... real credit card up front, then pay the final bill with cash or a ... the transaction (i.e. not even create the debt in the first place) ...
    (misc.transport.road)
  • Re: BT payment handling charge
    ... company wanted you to pay off your debt at the rate of £100 per month ... break your agreement and skip the CC payment? ... who don't pay their debts avoid DD, ... cash that I had no need to, as I have plenty of cash. ...
    (uk.legal)