Re: city makes it a law --- online bullying gets you in jail

In article <gm5guujwr2w4.dlg@xxxxxxxxxx>, richard <spam@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 23 Nov 2007 12:47:25 -0500, tjab wrote:

In article <1391v6uknrxe4.dlg@xxxxxxxxxx>, richard <spam@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Fri, 23 Nov 2007 07:34:34 -0800, Pennywise@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

richard <spam@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I only caught the end of this news article in which some louisiana city had
passed a law making it a crime to be the school bully while online. Anyone
have better details on it?

The same same town that this low life live

On the chance they try it again I guess.
http://tinyurl.com/33k7fl

You should be aware that YOU can get into a lot of trouble just for posting
that info without permission.

Let me get this straight, Richard. You are arguing that it is free speech
for a neighborhood mother to provoke an unhappy teenage girl to suicide by
impersonating a would-be boyfriend on the internet, but that you can get in
trouble for identifying the perpetrator?

What kind of trouble exactly?

Not necessarily with the law, but with the ethics behind the internet
community. Every service has a TOS/AUP posted. Most refer to "private
information" as to include that found in phone books. AFAIK, fax numbers
are not generally known to the public and may or may not be listed in the
phone book.

Basically, what we have here is "hearsay" evidence.
"Were you in the same room with the defendant when he/she allegedly typed
and sent that message?"
"Well uh no, not exactly."
"Then how exactly did you witness the defendant doing so? X-ray vision?"
"Well I just know for a fact that it was that person because blah blah
blah."
Of course that kind of testimony will be thrown out of court in a flash.

"Blah blah blah?" Sure. But the mother in this case had help. That means
witnesses.

In any case, you've shifted gears. You started out saying her actions
are protected by the Constitution. Now you've fallen back to "you can't
prove it." Maybe in your world that's the same thing. But in the real
world, it's not. By the way, it's pretty obvious you don't know what
hearsay is either.

I'm just saying that one should tread lightly when there is an ongoing
investigation such as this. You may never know who might be reading.

I oughta know. I simply posted a quote from a website during the "ricin
letter" scare a few years back. The FBI came knocking on my door and we had
a nice little chat.

So you're still maintaining that the neighborhood mother who provoked
a troubled teenage girl to suicide was simply exercising her freedom
of speech?

  • Re: computer crashed
    ... Left computer overnight and to my ... >> another, bad APM, blah blah blah. ... floppy trouble, ide trouble, video card trouble, ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: computer crashed
    ... Left computer overnight and to my ... >> another, bad APM, blah blah blah. ... floppy trouble, ide trouble, video card trouble, ...
    (microsoft.public.security.virus)
  • Re: computer crashed
    ... Left computer overnight and to my ... > another, bad APM, blah blah blah. ... floppy trouble, ide trouble, video card trouble, ... > Colonel Flagg ...