Illegal terry stop, what can I do?

A police officer stopped me on the street tonight after I'd gotten back
from a long night at work; it was about 2:30am. While I was walking to
my house from where I'd parked, an officer in a patrol car started
pacing me. Just as I was about to get to my house, the officer inside
rolled down his window and told me to stop. He got out of his car,
approached me, and asked whether I had any ID on me (which he never
asked to see, incidentally.) He asked me where I lived, what I did for
a living, and what I was doing ("over there [pointing to my house]",
"program computers" and "coming back from a late night at work",
respectively.)

He demanded that I empty my pockets onto the hood of his patrol car. I
said I would comply, and while doing that, I asked him whether he had
any reasonable suspicion for searching me. He said that he wanted to
make sure I "wasn't going to pull out a knife while [he] patted [me]
down" and that it was for "his safety." He told me to put my hands on
the patrol car. I did, and he patted me down. When he didn't find
anything, he walked to the sidewalk and said he was going to look for
anything I'd "dumped." He then said that I had "looked nervous," and
that he wanted to make sure I wasn't breaking into any cars. I asked
him for his badge number. I got it and walked away.

Now, as I understand it, ordering me to empty my pockets isn't
something the police can order me to do under Terry v. Ohio, making
the officer's order an illegal search. If that is the case, is there
anything I can DO about it?

Also, is there anything I could have done differently? As I understand
it, refusing to obey the police offer would have landed me in trouble
regardless of whether his order was legal, right?

Thanks!

  • =?windows-1252?Q?Questions_Surround_Man=92s_Death_in_Patrol_Car_=2D_The?= =?windows-1252?Q?_
    ... On a dark suburban street in Jonesboro, Ark., last month, the police ... arrested a young man named Chavis Carter. ... handcuffed him and put him in the back of a patrol car. ... heard asking an officer what would be done with Mr. Carter; ...
    (soc.culture.china)
  • Sixth Consecutive Houston Cop Killed by Illegal Alien
    ... the sixth consecutive Houston police officer killed in the line ... Vann, 48, was in uniform, sitting in his marked patrol car at a corner ... from an automatic weapon, possibly an AK-47 rifle, Ortiz said. ...
    (talk.politics.guns)
  • Re: Illegal terry stop, what can I do?
    ... Just as I was about to get to my house, the officer inside ... He demanded that I empty my pockets onto the hood of his patrol car. ... When a police officer asks you a question ...
    (misc.legal)
  • Re: Robbers leave 12 victims naked
    ... > But before the robbers left, they stripped the 12 poker players of their ... > years of budget cuts forced by failed levies have left the police department ... > without the resources to protect the city from crime. ... > was called for a backup, that left one free patrol car for the entire city. ...
    (rec.gambling.poker)
  • Mat Rempit attack police
    ... PETALING JAYA: The Mat Rempit mob ruled again yesterday when two police ... As the policemen approached the group of racers, a few of them hurled stones ... motorcycles began chasing after the second patrol car. ...
    (soc.culture.malaysia)