Re: Scared of the vacuum cleaner?

On Oct 2, 10:34 am, Ericka Kammerer <e...@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Donna Metler wrote:
This is literally the only fear she seems to have. She's never had problems
with monsters, ghosts, shadows, or other imaginary things, loves the
halloween displays in stores, and just plain doesn't seem scared of most
things-but my upright sends her into panic, and even the dustbuster
obviously makes her uncomfortable.

Any suggestions short of ripping out the carpet and putting in sealed
hardwood?

This may sound callous, but I think she just has to deal
with it. Do the vacuuming when DH is around so she can sit on
his lap while you do it (or vice versa). Hopefully that opportunity
presents itself often enough to maintain reasonably clean carpets ;-)

I understand how a child could find the noise of vacuum cleaners
upsetting (I still find it annoying), so I'd suggest that one parent
take the kids outside while the other parent vacuums.

Partly off-topic, but I am reminded of what software entrepreneur Paul
Graham said about vacuum cleaners http://www.paulgraham.com/gh.html .

"If companies want hackers to be productive, they should look at what
they do at home. At home, hackers can arrange things themselves so
they can get the most done. And when they work at home, hackers don't
work in noisy, open spaces; they work in rooms with doors. They work
in cosy, neighborhoody places with people around and somewhere to walk
when they need to mull something over, instead of in glass boxes set
in acres of parking lots. They have a sofa they can take a nap on when
they feel tired, instead of sitting in a coma at their desk,
pretending to work. There's no crew of people with vacuum cleaners
that roars through every evening during the prime hacking hours."

.