Re: 128 students suspended at Ind. school

On 31 Aug 2006 06:37:35 -0700, npardue@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Nan wrote:
On 30 Aug 2006 21:12:08 -0700, npardue@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

You're assuming that it would even occur to a family that struggles
mightily, to put that dime in a box. When I was in that position, I
was more concerned about keeping the electricity and heat on, and food
on the table.

I don't disagree that school supplies can be had very cheaply. I'm
simply pointing out that your resources, including how you'd plan for
something, isn't available to everyone.

No, I DON'T believe that there are more than a vanishingly small
percentage of families in this country that can't afford to buy a
couple of pens and notebooks for their school-age children. (And a
similarly small subset of those families would be so proud that they'd
let the children flunk out of school rather than ask for assistance.
[See below.])

Like I said, you've never been that poor. It's not about being so
proud you'd let your child flunk rather than ask. This issue isn't as
cut and dried as some of you would like to think it is.

Fine. But in that case it's problem that has no solution. These kids
are doomed. Their parents can't afford school supplies and don't have
the ability to plan ahead to save for them. The entire family is too
proud to ask for help, so the school district or local charities cannot
provide the supplies. So the kid doesn't have supplies and fails, NOT
because he's marked tardy when he goes to his locker, but because he is
not able to complete the assignments without writing implements and
paper.

You sure love to stretch, don't you?

So ... besides having the district provide all supplies free of charge
for all students (which was never the case when I was student, and
isn't the case now [though kids today do seem to be expected to provide
MORE than we were as kids ... we never had to bring our own tissues or
classroom scissors, but we did have to bring paper and pens/pencils and
protractors and [in high school] calculators), what do you suggest for
these kids?

Why do I have to have the answers? I'm merely pointing out that there
are people out there so poor that you can't even imagine it. You and
a few others in this thread are asserting that supplies are cheap and
ANYONE can buy them if they just do x, y, or z. As I've said already
several times, it's not as cut and dried as you'd like to believe.

Nan

  • School Bullies
    ... my son's high school government class. ... Brainwashing kids does not. ... "More than 1,000 students, many from Twin Cities high schools, skipped out ... majority of teachers come into the classroom. ...
    (soc.culture.african.american)
  • Re: Court: Student can sue Newark for alleged teacher sex abuse (NJ)
    ... N.J. - A former Newark high school student who contends ... was arrested for sexual abuse of his students. ... Don't let your kids do drama.... ... lying, being multi-faced and being manipulative is part of drum & bugle corps, say so ...
    (rec.arts.marching.drumcorps)
  • Re: Being OT on RCTN
    ... In order to prepare kids for a world where technological expertise is expected and required, they're teaching computer skills and typing in elementary school. ... High stakes testing regimes have caused schools to push curriculum elements into lower and lower grades to give kids more of a run at the tested elements. ... I would be very curious about these students who are graduating without being able to read, ...
    (rec.crafts.textiles.needlework)
  • Re: Iowqa School to get Laptops
    ... CENTRAL CITY - Soon students in the Central City School ... Snit will now produce evidence that using computers in education has ... Since some kids know cars inside and out and others ...
    (comp.sys.mac.advocacy)