Re: writing name on backpack

hobbes wrote:
DS starts kindergarten this year, and his teachers have (reasonably)
requested that we put his name on everything. But I'm wondering about
putting his name on his backpack--I guess my fear is that if I put his first
name where it can be easily seen by the general public, that a predator
could address him by name (making the predator seem less like a stranger).
There is a tag on the inside of the backpack, in which I have put his name
and phone number, but I can't really expect a busy teacher to have to open
the bag and look for the name inside.

So what do people usually do? Am I being paranoid?

I would expect the name would be used to find the owner if the backpack
is lost, so I would think it would be OK to have the name inside. I
would also think you could write it small enough to be identified up
close, but not large enough to be read unless you were holding it.

This year, our packs are solid black inside and didn't have a label so
I did write their names on the outside. However, I put it near the
zipper flap and just used the lastname since we're the only ones at
school with that name.

Annie

  • Re: writing name on backpack
    ... putting his name on his backpack--I guess my fear is that if I put ... could address him by name (making the predator seem less like a ... There is a tag on the inside of the backpack, ... My reasoning is that way it isn't ...
    (misc.kids)
  • Re: writing name on backpack
    ... hobbes wrote: ... putting his name on his backpack--I guess my fear is that if I put his first ... could address him by name (making the predator seem less like a stranger). ... Umm...luggage tag. ...
    (misc.kids)
  • Re: Allegory of Eden
    ... their shoulders in fear that some predator is after them to kill ... and I wonder how closely animal fear corresponds to ours. ... They try to avoid being knocked down, ... To declare that "I don't think we can say that animals try to avoid ...
    (talk.origins)
  • Re: Allegory of Eden
    ... over their shoulders in fear that some predator is after them to ... Very few animals seem to have a clear idea of ... but that doesn't mean that it's _death_ ...
    (talk.origins)
  • Re: writing name on backpack
    ... could address him by name (making the predator seem less like a stranger). ... There is a tag on the inside of the backpack, in which I have put his name ... but I can't really expect a busy teacher to have to open ... I've always preferred not to have my kids wear anything with ...
    (misc.kids)