Re: first day of kindergarten and homework!

Rosalie B. wrote:
Ericka Kammerer <eek@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Barbara wrote:

Back to the original issue of homework ... we've never had the parade
of horribles that others discuss. One's homework has, in the past,
taken longer than the teachers anticipate because of his processing
differences. But even with going to school from 8:20 until 3:15, and
sometimes having an hour or more of homework, he's still able to
participate in activities (baseball, basketball, I think we're signing
him up for ice skating in the fall, gym night, chess club, we may do
scouts if they form a pack in our area, trying to convince him to try a
musical instrument), read, have free time, and try to sneak in more
time on the TV or video games than I'd like.
Good heavens, what time does he go to bed? Or are all
of the activities in your back yard? We've got 4.5 hours between
the time the kids get home from school and bedtime.

When my kids were in school and doing various activities, we scheduled
it differently. They went to the activity right after school. In
some cases the activities were AT school, and in at least one case
(4-H) the leader's house was on their bus route, and so they rode the
bus to the leaders house, and then I picked them up later.

We've done that in the past. For us, that just
leads to having to do homework after dinner, by which time
my kids take twice as long to do the homework because they're
tired.

In any case, we had dinner about 7, and they did their homework
afterwards or in some cases there was time the next morning.

Yikes. That would be a total no-go here. DD is in
bed by 7:30, so 7pm is waaaay too late for dinner. And,
if DS1 or DS2 had an hour of homework, there'd be no way to
get dinner plus homework in before their bedtimes.

Best wishes,
Ericka

  • Re: first day of kindergarten and homework!
    ... One's homework has, in the past, ... the time the kids get home from school and bedtime. ... When my kids were in school and doing various activities, ... In any case, we had dinner about 7, and they did their homework ...
    (misc.kids)
  • Re: I hate homework!
    ... Maybe the soccer, karate, or dance should go, not the homework. ... which can be done between dinner and bed time. ... Certainly, I'd expect that as they get up into the middle and high school years, they'd have later activities; but it's way early for Beliavsky to worry about that. ... as a matter of academics vs. extracurriculars. ...
    (misc.kids)
  • Re: I hate homework!
    ... We'd normally eat dinner about 5:30, so that delays dinnertime by about 40 minutes. ... For a while I was teaching chess in after school programs in NJ in suburban NYC for the grade K to 8 set. ... I get the impression that the most successful programs have time for students to complete their homework and do other activities, like chess, sports, dance, music or arts. ... In both the cities I've lived since having children I'd have no trouble at all finding extracurriculars that were finished by 6 p.m. ...
    (misc.kids)
  • Re: One of the funniest threads ever...
    ... A big part of the problem is the number of kids who do ... Homework is part of education. ... parents should be making sure the work gets done. ... school to help kids with their homework. ...
    (rec.boats)
  • Re: first day of kindergarten and homework!
    ... One's homework has, in the past, ... the time the kids get home from school and bedtime. ... a half hour for dinner (forget going out to dinner or having a ...
    (misc.kids)