Re: Console or ignore a crying baby at midnight

--
"Rosalie B." <gmbeasley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
"Me Myself and I" <reallyfakeemailaddy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
L." <gentleboa@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

Me Myself and I wrote:

Exactly! It's not like a baby who is fast asleep suddenly thinks
"Right
I'm
going to wake up, cry and really piss my Mum off" Like you said babies
who
cry need something, even if it is just a friendly face because they
woke
up
with a start.

One of my healthcare providers told me a story: Her grandson kept
waking at midnight, screaming. They couldn't find out anything wrong,
would console him, he'd settle down and then beging screaming again.
This would happen once or twice a week. They had the hardest time
trying to figure out what was wrong. Then they discovered that he only
did it when they put certain pajamas on him - ones with
glow-in-the-dark characters on them! He'd wake up, kick his feet and
see the glow-in-the-dark figures, and freak out! Once they quit
putting him in those pjs, he was fine. :)

-L.

OMG how funny is that! Poor kid lucky they worked it out in time before
he
was traumatized for life :)

I'm assuming this is hyperbole

In any case, my mom and dad were living in a room with me for the
summer, and also rooming there was a bachelor, and the landlady was
Mrs. Smith (that was her real name). Mom and Dad would be in bed
asleep, and the bachelor would come home very late, and when he did, I
would wake up and cry. My mom tried to keep me from making noise so
that I wouldn't annoy the man and Mrs. Smith, but it was difficult for
her to do. Mrs. Smith told my mom just to let me cry. She was
uncertain about this, but she did as Mrs. Smith said. She said the
first night I cried for about half an hour. The second night it was
only about 5 or 10 minutes, and after that I didn't cry at all.

I had a similar situation when my third child was 8 or 9 months. We
lived in a row house with garages in the basement. The man next door
worked 2nd shift and would come home after midnight and put his car
into the garage in his house, and the shutting of the overhead door
would wake the baby (who had been happily sleeping through the night).
I didn't want her to wake her sisters (who slept on the other side of
the hall so they weren't next to the party wall on that side), so I
used to get her and bring her back to bed and nurse her back to sleep.
I was in effect co-sleeping for the remainder of the night.

Those are two different ways of dealing with a situation where a baby
is waked because of some external stimulus. They both worked.

I totally do not believe that a baby will be traumatized for life if
the parents do not respond to every whimper. Children's psyches are
not that delicate. Plenty of terrible things that are out of the
control of the parents happen to babies and children, and they survive
and grow up to be perfectly reasonable adults.

?? I meant traumatized by seeing glow in the dark figures in the night??
Yes it was hyperbole on my part. I thought the smiley at the end indicated
that.

--
Pip

My girls :
DD1 Jasmine - 5 weeks early - 21 March 02 -
Still as small as a peanut but as smart as a whip!

DD2 Abby - 8 weeks early - 3 Feb 05 -
"Uhhhhh ohhhhhh" is my new favourite phrase, now what other trouble can I
find!

"Yes you can drive me insane just by talking to me!"

  • Re: Console or ignore a crying baby at midnight
    ... going to wake up, cry and really piss my Mum off" Like you said babies ... cry need something, even if it is just a friendly face because they woke ... Mrs. Smith. ... would wake the baby. ...
    (misc.kids)
  • Re: Need a kind thought, please
    ... I salute your son for joining the service in a time of war - that's not an easy decision. ... Mom's are allowed to cry and get extra hugs and "make complete asses" of ourselves. ... At 11:00 tomorrow morning, I'm dropping my baby off at the recruiting office to leave for Army boot camp. ...
    (sci.med.transcription)
  • Re: babies are supposed to cry
    ... Babies are supposed to cry. ... The baby is supposed to cry. ... exception tests the rule' ...
    (alt.usage.english)
  • Re: Cool home made chord site for lots of songs....sbc
    ... The bomb in the baby carriage was wired to the radio ... And don't cry baby, don't cry, don't cry ... these are the days of lasers in the jungle ...
    (rec.music.artists.springsteen)
  • Re: Console or ignore a crying baby at midnight
    ... going to wake up, cry and really piss my Mum off" Like you said babies who ... cry need something, even if it is just a friendly face because they woke up ... he'd settle down and then beging screaming again. ... glow-in-the-dark characters on them! ...
    (misc.kids)