news:w2Kyg.77215$Lm5.14705@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

"Jeff" <jeff@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:HeJyg.6021$bP5.5320@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

"Marie" <annadoggoo@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:eaflfl$sme$1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
"bizby40" <bizby40@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:ZvudnYthN7PWUlfZnZ2dnUVZ_ridnZ2d@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
(...)

My dad and his girlfriend let my daughters stand on the back of the
shopping
cart, and I don't let them do that so I've had to hear "But papa lets
me..."
They do get old enough at some point to understand grandparents let you
do
lots of things mom doesn't. I've come around to decide that if the
grandparents allow things that are NOT dangerous (too many cookies or
whatever), I just let them. Or look the other way lol My kids know the
difference. Sort of like when you have to put up with "advice" from
elderly
people and you just nod and smile...

I agree with you on everything but one thing. I have to take issue with
the phrase "elderly people." Please understand, I don't think you were
trying to put down elderly people at all. I think you just picked a
phrase that was less than ideal. No offense was taken. It's just one of
those things that caught my eye.

What phrase should be in its place?

"inlaws" or "grand-parents" would work.

But what if they are old but are neither her IL's nor GP's?

I'd share Toypup's frustration with this.

She *meant* elderly. She didn't mean "in laws" or "granparents", she meant
what
she meant.

Now, it's fair game as to whether or not you want to discuss with her that
the
elderly should be treated any differently as far as their advice (I can see
two
sides to that question).

But to do and way that she shouldn't refer to their age at all? C'mon.
That's
tantamount to telling her she can't express her opinion. "Elderly" is a
perfectly good term.

How about something slightly more descriptive? I've been known to use
"senile old farts". (Or, in the case of my dad, just "old fart". Or,
if I'm particularly annoyed, "mean old fart".)

(Just working on my ability to be politically incorrect.)

I hope you stretch first before you do that :)

Banty

  • Re: Montessori question
    ... and I don't let them do that so I've had to hear "But papa lets ... They do get old enough at some point to understand grandparents let you ... Sort of like when you have to put up with "advice" from ... phrase that was less than ideal. ...
    (misc.kids)
  • Re: Montessori question
    ... and I don't let them do that so I've had to hear "But papa lets ... They do get old enough at some point to understand grandparents let you ... Sort of like when you have to put up with "advice" from ... phrase that was less than ideal. ...
    (misc.kids)
  • Re: Montessori question
    ... They do get old enough at some point to understand grandparents let you ... Sort of like when you have to put up with "advice" from ... phrase that was less than ideal. ... Children won't care how much you know until they know how much you care ...
    (misc.kids)
  • Re: Montessori question
    ... cart, and I don't let them do that so I've had to hear "But papa lets me..." ... They do get old enough at some point to understand grandparents let you do ... I think you just picked a phrase that was less than ideal. ...