Re: can anyone point me in the right direction?

Things that might help:

-- The book "Parenting Your Out-of-Control Teen" by
Scott Sells. Note that many of the rather unusual
techniques suggested in this book demonstrate the
parent's love and commitment (or even the caring and
commitment of other adults in the community) at the
same time as making it very difficult to continue
some unwanted behaviour.

-- The book "Parent Effectiveness Training" by
Thomas Gordon. This book emphasises listening to
children, helping them meet their real needs,
problem-solving together, and refraining from imposing
your own values on them. The techniques can
lead to warmer relationships surprisingly quickly.

-- Note that a teenager needs limits, stability,
freedom, privacy, and dignity among other things.

-- Protect the teen from being yelled at or
from violence, even when the teen is being violent.
Violence just leads to more violence.

-- You can take a parenting course

-- You can consult your family doctor.
Is the teen taking any drugs? Some drugs
promote that sort of behaviour. Has he had
any bumps on the head? Some brain damage can
lead to violent behaviour.

Good luck!

"Just Mel" (debragriffin@xxxxxxx) writes:
I have a 16 yr old who is out of control. he's violent, destructive,
verbally abusive, etc....what where do I turn?

--
There are two ways to live your life.
One is as though nothing is a miracle.

  • How doesnt Yolanda ring neatly?
    ... view the violence. ... base worth the chinese strands, ... Jbilou will extremely shall afterwards. ... it drills a commitment too difficult ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: The New Gay Weddings
    ... > violence on my behalf. ... > that people are happy to speak freely of a commitment to violence ... My committment to the "Prince of Peace" is not reduced one iota by my ...
    (uk.religion.christian)
  • Re: Murder by Psychiatry?
    ... >>marketing of violence to children. ... >>prescription drugs to children. ... >>this week that traces of Luvox, a sibling of Prozac, were found in Eric ... >>antidepressants clearly did not exorcise the teenagers' demons. ...
    (sci.med)
  • Top Ten Legal Drugs Linked to Violence
    ... Top Ten Legal Drugs Linked to Violence ... linked with reports of violent behavior towards others. ... in the case of opioid pain medications ...
    (rec.sport.pro-wrestling)
  • Re: {OT:} Fox ignores ATF data - 90% of Mexican cartel guns from the US
    ... Tell me why the violence stopped when prohibition of alcohol was ... picking & choosing what we want, alcohol is a drug & does destroy lives ... No reliable source you can find says drugs are harder to get because they ...
    (alt.autos.toyota)