Re: OT: Jury Duty in California (long)

On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 21:39:32 GMT, toypup <toypup@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I've always wanted to serve on a jury just to see what it's like. They must
> know that at the courthouse, because I never get passed the first stage of
> the selection process. There are people everywhere trying to get out of it
> and I'm practically waving my hand in the air, but alas, no luck . . . until
> today. I didn't get on one yet, but I got to stage 2. Chances are I won't
> get in, because they have a large pool and they don't need very many jurors.
>
> The thing is, I told my boss. Work pays for 10 days jury service. The
> trial lasts until October 22, but I only work 3 days a week at the most, so
> I'm not losing much pay. He said I could claim financial hardship. In the
> courthouse, they told us it was financial hardship if we don't get paid. I
> get paid, so I did not ask for exemption. However, the boss says I need to
> tell them I only get paid for 2 weeks so they will let me off on financial
> hardship, that is what he does. I'm sure it would be financial hardship for
> him, because he is the breadwinner, but I am not really working for the
> money as much as for other reasons. I think I will be short about 5 days'
> pay, not a problem. He wants me to do it, because it will be a hardship for
> him. Maybe technically, it could be a financial hardship for me, I'm not
> sure. In reality, it is not a hardship at all and I want to serve. If I do
> serve, he will know I did not declare financial hardship. He's a great
> boss, goes out of his way to give me the schedule I want. I told him I will
> tell the judge I only get 2 weeks' pay. I will, because he wants me to. I
> did not tell him I would also tell the judge it's not a financial blow to
> me. Is that a bad thing? The boss knows I want to serve on a jury. I
> don't know the laws here regarding jury duty. I don't know if the boss can
> ask me to do what he's asking. I probably won't get on anyway . . . too
> eager to serve.

He's your employer, not your Lord and Master. I certainly wouldn't lie
for him.

Just be honest with the judge and lawyers. My personal feeling is that
jury service is as important a civic obligation as voting and writing
scathing letters to the editor. ;-) I really don't understand why so
many people have such a negative reaction to jury service, even the
ones who have absolutely minimal financial and personal impact.

On the other hand, I never get picked. The impression that I've
gotten is that prosecuters LOVE engineers, and defense lawyers HATE
engineers. ;-) The times I've gone, I've been de-selected by
pre-emptory challenges. Oh well... there's always next time...

- Rich

  • OT: Jury Duty in California (long)
    ... I've always wanted to serve on a jury just to see what it's like. ... The thing is, I told my boss. ... they told us it was financial hardship if we don't get paid. ...
    (misc.kids)
  • Re: OT: Jury Duty in California (long)
    ... Work pays for 10 days jury service. ... they told us it was financial hardship if we don't get paid. ... the boss says I need to ... it is not a hardship at all and I want to serve. ...
    (misc.kids)
  • Re: OT: Jury Duty in California (long)
    ... Your work pays for 10 ... > jury service and your boss wants you to say you only get paid for two ... to get out of jury service by claiming financial hardship. ...
    (misc.kids)
  • Re: OT: Jury Duty in California (long)
    ... > I've always wanted to serve on a jury just to see what it's like. ... Work pays for 10 days jury service. ... > courthouse, they told us it was financial hardship if we don't get paid. ...
    (misc.kids)