Re: OT: Question on HTTP and HTTPS

On Feb 12, 6:46 pm, -=DirtBag© <D...@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 2/12/10 3:39 PM, shortT wrote:

On Feb 12, 9:27 am, -=DirtBag©<D...@xxxxxxxx>  wrote:
On 2/11/10 11:45 PM, Lubow wrote:

On Feb 11, 2:36 pm, -=DirtBag<D...@xxxxxxxx>    wrote:
On 2/11/10 11:32 AM, Lawyerkill wrote:

On Feb 11, 2:26 pm, -=DirtBag<D...@xxxxxxxx>      wrote:
Whats the reason for the 'S' in https? Is it security? Does using a
'https' site mean your on a secure connection or ?? Thanks.

It seems to be that. I have the same in my address to TDAmeritrade,
but it may also mean SELL!

I just found on Snopes the answer..  Yes it is security.  Someone had
just asked me and i didn't know...  Thanks LK

http://www.snopes.com/computer/internet/https.asp

The "S" means you're using a public key/private key method to
communicate with the server.  The broker "shipped" into your browser
his public key which is used to encrypt your data.  At the broker's
end, the broker's private key is used to decrypt your data.
Similarly, your browser shipped a public key to the broker which is
used to send you information for which your browser, which has your
private key, will decrypt.

This method is also used for email.  You send a secure message to the
recipient using the recipient's public key.  Only the recipient's
private key can decrypt the message.  To be safe, you "sign" your
email using your private key which can only decrypted if you sent the
recipient your public key.

Thanks for the explanation Mike.

This is in addition to what Mr. Lubow was saying.
If you are at a legit site that asks for private information and the
URL does not show
https://  then be aware that your communication (everything you enter)
is in "clear text".
This means that any system-administrator between you and the site you
are at can read what you type
if they want to.

shortT

Thanks.. I will be sure to try and remember to look for the 's' when i
am doing banking and other financial transactions online.  I have never
had a problem so far..

You are welcome.
All financial institutions use https but many places that require you
to enter private information do not.
Places like chat groups, social sites, utility companies, stock
information sites etc. Just be aware that when you provide personal
information and you are not using https then you are vulnerable.
If there is no way around it then make up a password that you normally
would not use.

shortT