medicare

I can't believe it. Medicare pays for test strips. I just got a
letter from Wal Mart, where I buy my strips, saying I have to fill out
the charts they sent me, showing each time I test. The reason. My
doctor wrote the prescription for testing five times a day and
Medicare says that a type two diabetic should only be testing once a
day. A type one diabetic is allowed to test three times a day and
have the strips payed for. Before medicare I paid for the strips
myself.

The chart does not ask anything about diet or exercise during the day,
which to me makes any information about mere monitor readings
useless.

I resent the intrusion.

It seems to me that whoever is in charge of making these decisions
about number of alloted test strips does not know anything about
diabetes or the necessity for testing. Type two's I suppose are only
supposed to test fasting levels, not post prandials or extra tests to
show what a particular food might be doing. Or for lows if they are
feeling hypo. (I did a test and found my bs at 212. I was stunned.
It stayed high even after exercise (another test) and long into the
day (more tests). I figured out it was due to one lousy date I ate
after lunch. I threw out the rest of the bag.

Am I over reacting or do you think one test a day for type twos and 3
a day for type ones is a good way to insure complications?

Dolores

  • Re: Test strips
    ... :>: I was using Liberty medical last year to get test strips. ... :>: strips are one of the few things Medicare pays for over my secondary ... is still cheaper to get my more expensive drugs mail order. ...
    (alt.support.diabetes)
  • Re: How many test strips will Medicare or Insurance allow us?
    ... >>>He said that Medicare is going to start only paying for one test strip ... >>>per day for T2 diabetics and three tests per day for T1 diabetics. ... I was told they will let me buy as many strips as my ... My doctor knows that anytime I am trying a new food I test ...
    (alt.support.diabetes)
  • Re: Question about Medicare and Strips
    ... I've never had a scrip for strips before, ... I receive 100 test strips per month through Medicare, ... Test strips are considered "durable medical equipment" as far as I ... without regard to whether the individual has Type I or Type II diabetes ...
    (alt.support.diabetes)
  • Re: Medicare and strips?
    ... my strips were only partially covered but that my supplier ... I have not only Medicare but Tricare as well and I ... Same employee medical plan, but somewhere along ... At the local WalMart Pharmacy, I'm constantly hearing complaints while waiting in line about how the pharmacy is "slowing down" and it has. ...
    (alt.support.diabetes)
  • Re: Test strips
    ... test strips and she says she can give me the number for Arriva ... Businesses are under no obligation to seek BBB accreditation, ... strips are one of the few things Medicare pays for over my secondary ... you cna get the strips of your chice at your local pharmacy rather than through the mail. ...
    (alt.support.diabetes)