Re: a1C

On Wed, 01 Mar 2006 07:52:22 -0800, David <David@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Harold Groot wrote:
On Wed, 01 Mar 2006 04:00:01 -0800, Tecknomage
<tecknode@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I disagree with you there. Of course we need to test. And the A1c isn't
for everyone. My brother can't have it because he has a blood disorder. I
know of a brittle type 1 for whom it is useless. But I think the test
results tell us more than just the longer time status of BG levels. Then
again I could be wrong. I thought it had to do with glycoslation or
something like that. It is more than just an average.

According to my doctor, lab A1C test is a more _accurate_ measurement
of you BG status than any other test. And it _is_ a 3mth average
which, if you think about it, is better in assessing your BG control.
======= Tecknomage =======

Take two people. One has a BG that is a constant 120 (a trifle high,
but not in the range where damage happens). The other spends half his
time dangerously low at 60 and the other half dangerously high at 180.
They have the same average value and will have identical A1C scores.
The first has no real worries. The second has a serious problem.

The A1C is generally regarded as the best overall test, yes. People
with wild swings like the second example are relatively rare. But you
need to know the highs and lows as well as the 3-month average to know
where you really stand.

60-180 is "rare"? LOL! You lead a sheltered life.

Even 45-300 isn't rare.

dave

You misunderstood what I wrote. It is rare to spend exactly 12 hours
per day at 60 and the other 12 hours per day at 180. The example I
gave would require changing from 60 to 180 in, say, 1 second, then 12
hours later changing from 180 back down to 60 in 1 second.

People who swing to those extremes are common, or even the limits you
mention. People who STAY PRECISELY at those extremes are not. Most
people show a much more gradual change between the two extremes. My
point was that the A1C would be unchanged by the super-fast swing
since it only looks at the average value.

.