Re: Acupuncture Proven Studies

In article <ec13b632-3a9e-4bf6-9d1a-a037a249a96c@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Citizen Jimserac <Jimserac@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

: Yes, a placebo is a convenient excuse used by those who wish to deny
: the efficacy of some alternative systems of medicine.

In other words, you don't know what a placebo is either.

: It is a subjective measure, outside the realm of statistics and
: scientifically worthless.

Since you do not understand (and are not interested in learning about)
statistics, your claim is "scientifically worthless." In fact, the
placebo effect is something that *can* be measured statistically. Why
you think that statistics cannot be applied to subjective phenomena
is beyond me. Do you believe that if I were to take a survey of people
asking them whether they prefer Rothko or Pollock, I could not do a
statistical analysis of their responses?

: If you disagree, please post explicit and exact reasoning, or at the
: very least some links. Attempts to assert that you know the answer or that
: someone else does not have a clue will promptly be met with
: a posting ignored message.

http://www.fda.gov/fdac/features/2000/100_heal.html
http://skepdic.com/placebo.html
http://tinyurl.com/59hg8y
http://pubs.acs.org/hotartcl/mdd/99/aug/mysterious.html

That should be enough for starters.

-----
Richard Schultz schultr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
-----
"Any other education would have required a serious effort, but no
one took Harvard College seriously."

  • Re: Acupuncture Proven Studies
    ... you don't know what a placebo is either. ... statistics, your claim is "scientifically worthless." ... you think that statistics cannot be applied to subjective phenomena ...
    (misc.health.alternative)
  • Re: Acupuncture Proven Studies
    ... you don't know what a placebo is either. ... statistics, ... If you disagree, please post explicit and exact reasoning, or at the ... Jan Drew can define proof: ...
    (misc.health.alternative)
  • Re: Acupuncture Proven Studies
    ... you don't know what a placebo is either. ... statistics, your claim is "scientifically worthless." ... placebo effect is something that *can* be measured statistically. ...
    (misc.health.alternative)
  • Re: Acupuncture Proven Studies
    ... :> acupuncture does not work any better than a placebo. ... Then you agree that acupuncture is not effective. ... You can stop with ye ole placebo excuse. ... the realm of statistics and scientifically ...
    (misc.health.alternative)
  • Re: Questions for our anti-statistics friends
    ... "more important than a stack of statistics"? ... and not those of Bar-Ilan University ... "You don't even have a clue about which clue you're missing." ...
    (misc.health.alternative)