Re: Why Pistols?

"Jim Janney" <jjanney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:2ppqnwo0e6.fsf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Jason Earl <jearl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

On Thu, May 05 2011, Steve Freides wrote:

Not much for me to add. If you want to be stronger without weights,
and becoming more mobile, and correct side-to-side imbalances of
strength and mobility at the same time, here's your exercise, complete
with why to do it and a progression for how to get better at it.

http://www.maxwellsc.com/blog.cfm?blogID=60

Enjoy.

It is hard to argue against pistols.

Pistols are interesting for the skills you acquire while learning to do
them. I don't know that I'd advocate working them hard after you've
accomplished that. I suspect that most people would be better off doing
barbell squats with a full range of motion.

I agree. Plus you get more out of squats.
Pistols are indeed an intense exercise, but few people need that level of
intensity.
But for those who can do them, they are a good exercise.

Bear in mind, that walking/running are already a very small range of motion
pistol, as is hopping on one foot.
One could argue that everyone would benefit by increasing this range of
motion as far as is safe/tolerable, and for some this will result in an
ass-on-heel pistol. 'sall good.

Imo, full pistols are for people like Friedes and this skinny half-necked
russian fitness twit that dominates half the videos on youtube, who need all
the attention they can get.
--
EA

--
Jim Janney

  • Re: Improve my flawed judgment
    ... I do pulldowns after pullups because I can't do all that many ... I thought you meant to superset with an antagonistic exercise like ... pullups and pistols, but after the second exercise, I still usually ... I find them easiest with weights in the 20-40 lb. ...
    (misc.fitness.weights)
  • Re: Improve my flawed judgment
    ... I do pulldowns after pullups because I can't do all that many ... I thought you meant to superset with an antagonistic exercise like ... pullups and pistols, but after the second exercise, I still usually ... I find them easiest with weights in the 20-40 lb. ...
    (misc.fitness.weights)
  • Re: Improve my flawed judgment
    ... pullups to begin with. ... I thought you meant to superset with an antagonistic exercise ... pullups and pistols, but after the second exercise, I still ... I find them easiest with weights in the 20-40 lb. ...
    (misc.fitness.weights)
  • Re: Why Pistols?
    ... strength and mobility at the same time, here's your exercise, complete ... It is hard to argue against pistols. ... and you get to work on any imbalances you may or may not ... When I do MY exercise dvds, ahma stuff a sock in my tailored exercise pants, ...
    (misc.fitness.weights)
  • Re: Range of motion after surgery
    ... of motion in the ankle is severly limited. ... range of motion exercise sooner, ... I stretch the foot harder? ...
    (sci.med)