Re: OT: Need a hobby?

In article <87prj9l4ln.fsf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
Jason Earl <jearl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

It was disconcerting when I realized that my friends and neighbors
apparently had no trouble picturing me dressing up in spandex and
playground parts to fight crime. Quite frankly, that's pretty dang
looney.

Forgive me but I find it highly amusing. ;-)

I'm not a coward, but I have responsibilities... I'd rather let the
criminals kill each other. The irony and all that... And it saves tax
payer money.

My sentiments exactly. It's one thing to be aware of who lives in your
neighborhood, and be on the lookout for suspicious behavior. It's
another thing completely to dress up like a comic book hero and go
looking for trouble. To a certain extent that's little more than going
out looking to pick fights.

Indeed. I won't go looking for trouble.

Heck, in a lot of cases in the worst neighborhoods law enforcement just
needs someone that is willing to talk to them. I can totally understand
being that sort of a stand-up citizen. I can also understand being
prepared in case someone does try to attack.

Most cops are good people and the _encourage_ home and neighborhood
security activities.

You can do all of those things much more easily and more safely dressed
a regular person. Adding in a concealed weapon (that you carry legally
and know how to use)

I'd never carry a weapon I did not know how to use. <g> That'd be
downright stupid imho.

basically guarantees that you are far more prepared
for the worst than anyone dressed in spandex, and you don't look like a
freak show.

Walking a dog around your neighborhood on a daily basis (while paying
attention) probably has more "crime fighting" potential than any number
of caped crusaders.

Alternatively, you could move. There's plenty of space in Idaho.

Jason

Oh I'm fine here in Texas in this particular neighborhood!
If I ever do move, it'd be to Oregon, or maybe Anchorage, but that's
just because the West Coast is so beautiful... and there are plenty of
live king or dungness crab available for the catching. ;-d

I love sea bugs. Good for low carbing too.
--
Peace! Om

"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive." -- Dalai Lama

  • Re: A few fast food slogans
    ... Trouble is when the courthouse closes and ... the lunch crowd. ... Quizno's pulled the same sort of stunt in my neighborhood. ...
    (rec.food.cooking)
  • Re: Hey Jenn e Craig!
    ... Yeah, we're on high ground, you've been here. ... I did have some trouble ... getting out of the neighborhood this morning, ... detour to avoid some flooded out areas. ...
    (alt.smokers.cigars)
  • Re: EXPO - Areas of Chicago to STAY AWAY from.
    ... Old School Al wrote: ... My recommendation would be not after midnight since you don't know ... As for unfriendly you shouldn't have any trouble in the locations you ... There are places I probably wouldn't get out of the car as a whitey, but it's not like in movies where you'll drive into a neighborhood and come out with no hubcaps and baseball-bat dents and graffiti everywhere. ...
    (rec.games.pinball)