Re: Protein fix for T-day tomorrow?

In article <6p80h2F6pbcoU1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
"Steve Freides" <steve@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

We are big fans of extra sharp cheddar cheese here. I think, heated
with a little milk or cream, it will make a fine cheese sauce. We go
through so much of it that we can't afford to buy anything fancy,
just
your basic stuff from the local Stop 'N' Shop.

It works. As long as it's not Velveeta. <eg>
That actually has it's uses too. With Rotel' as a chip dip.

Your authentic Philly cheesesteak sandwich uses some sort of Velveeta or
Cheese Wiz type stuff. Authentic, grew up just outside of Philly boy
that I am, I can't stand the local impersonations so I make my own, and
we use extra sharp cheddar, which works just fine. Even the convenience
store I stopped at in Quakertown, PA, which is a good 30 miles (I'm
guessing) north of Philly make a better cheesesteak sandwich than local
pizza shops here, which is more like 100 miles away. Now a
cheesesteak - _that_ is good eats!

Believe it or not, the local University cafeteria makes a decent one.
I think for something like that, I'd tend to stick with real cheese like
you are doing.

What kind of soup?

I asked, she answerred, "Butternut Squash with a little applesauce."
I'll let you know how it tastes later. :)

That actually sounds nice! I'd considered some Turban squash, but I
had
to consider how much food two people can eat in a week without really
pigging out. We'd both rather not. ;-D

I have never been able to keep up with squash varieties - butternut is
usually what we eat here, usually cut in half and cooked with butter
and/or brown sugar. What is a Turban squash, and can you wear it on
your head? :)

<lol> It's a hard shelled winter squash like butternut, only in a
funnier looking shell:

<http://www.theworldwidegourmet.com/products/vegetables/turban-squash/>

To me, the taste is slightly milder than Butternut, but similar. The fun
part about it is that if you do it right, you can use the fancy looking
shell to serve it out of. It's decorative and makes a nice presentation.

I cut the top out, remove the seeds and add anything I may want to add
to it (which is usually limited to butter and lemon pepper), put the cap
back on and bake it.

Nuking it works too, as it does with butternut.

The fanciest way I ever served butternuts was to peel and de-seed them
first, then carefully pressure cook them so they could be served stuffed
on a plate:

http://i38.tinypic.com/35hr1g4.jpg

I specifically hunted down SMALL ones!

I've never brined a turkey but my Brother in Law did that last
year,
(I
ate with them instead of cooking) and it was damned good.

Trader Joe's had two kinds of turkeys, both brined, one Kosher for
50-cents/pound more. We elected the non-Kosher kind. This is the
first
year we've gotten our turkey at TJ's - last year is was from Whole
Foods.

I just bought mine at the local Grocery Store. I took an Ag class in
high school that taught me that most birds come from the same farms.
Just different packaging. The slaughter houses contract for sizes and
grades and put different wrappers on them.
-snip-
I have experienced this, e.g., the local Whole Foods market clearly got
its dried Turkish figs from the same place as the local Stop 'N' Shop
but you know what? Those different "grades" made a difference - after
buying them once or twice at Stop 'N' Shop, I went back to buying them
from Whole Foods because they tasted a whole lot better.

Well, there is something to be said for "grading". :-)

Before last year, it was always a grocery store turkey for us, but the
fact that these were brined already was the big selling point. Last
year it was Whole Foods because last year was the first year in 15 or so
my wife had worked full-time; this is the second.

My question would be what flavors was it "brined" with. To me, brining
is just a fancy term for "marinating". <g> Except the salt content is
higher.

And the fact that I love shopping at Trader Joe's - it's near where I
teach and I stop on the way home probably 2-3 times a week, sometimes
just to pick up one item and to eat whatever samples they're giving out
that day. The samples really work for me - most of them taste good and,
even if we don't end up buying them more than once, buying them once
still brings a nice variety to our diet - great for us because TJ's is
doing all the thinking. That's how we ended up with the stuffing.

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com

Samples are always a good thing! I know that Central Market has sold me
stuff on weekends that way...
--
Peace! Om

"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive." -- Dalai Lama

  • Re: Still Rushing
    ... butternut squash is a better choice. ... I've found the 'cheese' types to be more productive for me than the 'necked' ... 'Fairytale' is described by Stokes as C. maxima but actually similar ...
    (rec.gardens.edible)
  • Re: Midnight on a school night...
    ... I can't remember any cheese being served during the week I dined at ... Oh I *adore* butternut squash. ... the weirdest thing was a zucchini flower - coated in a light batter & ...
    (uk.rec.motorcycles)
  • Re: Midnight on a school night...
    ... I can't remember any cheese being served during the week I dined at ... the cooking school in Sorrento. ... Oh I *adore* butternut squash. ...
    (uk.rec.motorcycles)
  • Re: Midnight on a school night...
    ... I can't remember any cheese being served during the week I dined at the ... cooking school in Sorrento. ... Oh I *adore* butternut squash. ...
    (uk.rec.motorcycles)
  • Re: Non-American Foodies
    ... Chocolate chip cookies, muffins. ... as well as other hot foods for breakfast. ... Pumpkin Pie, Key lime pie leomon meringue pie, pecan pie, cheesecakes. ... Mac and cheese. ...
    (rec.food.cooking)