Re: Multiple sets / reps

"Chris Morse" <win32mfc@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:1189029779.942014.102230@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Sep 5, 5:11 pm, R1...@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
I have read on more than one lifting web-site about...basically
one set work-outs.
They said that there is no clinical proof that any more than one set
per muscle group / exercise is better?

If you look at the training programs of top physique competitors,
you'll discover that nearly 100% of them use multiple sets on multiple
exercises - usually two to three exercises for three sets per exercise
(not counting warm ups). Arnold Schwarzenegger himself once said that
back in his heyday, he and training partner Franco Columbo tried these
abbreviated training methods and the results were very negative, so
they quickly went back to multiple sets.

There is a happy medium between extreme multi set workouts and HIT. I worked
out with Mike Mentzer in 1978 when he was at his best as a bodybuilder and
he was doing around 8 sets/muscle group for smaller muscles and 10-12 sets
for larger muscles. You can make very good progress as a beginner with a HIT
type of program, but you will need some volume as you progress.

--
Robert Schuh
- Nietzsche

http://www.hardbopdrums.com/

  • Jak systematycznie odnawiac cialo i umysl
    ... Myself, having the physiological age of 1/2 of real one, I ... effective stretching of all muscles and linings (when ... morning meditation / exercise to put self at own optimum; ... Balance, balance, balance - think of too big weight but also too ...
    (soc.culture.polish)
  • San Marino and Singapure have higher life expectancy than USA ( 77y)
    ... Myself, having the physiological age of 1/2 of real one, I am sharing ... effective stretching of all muscles and linings (when ... morning meditation / exercise to put self at own optimum; ... Balance, balance, balance - think of too big weight but also too ...
    (soc.culture.usa)
  • Re: Stand Up While You Read This!
    ... If you spend most of the rest of the day sitting - in your car, ... irrespective of whether you exercise ... This article suggests some reasons why walking might be ... muscles, and engage the muscles of your back and shoulders; ...
    (alt.support.diabetes)
  • Re: Military Presses
    ... Its a matter of training yourself to perform an exercise like that. ... If you build momentum, like in cleans, the weight will not tax the muscles ... legs. ...
    (misc.fitness.weights)
  • Re: Managing lower back problems
    ... If you sit for a long time, your muscles stay contracted in the ... back is exercise - some yoga positions, walking, elliptical machine, ... hard surfaces, and b) They didn't spend 8 hours/day sitting in an ... Lie, sit, stretch on the ball, and stay the hell away from ...
    (rec.motorcycles)