Re: My first visit to the gym, how did I do?

On Mar 11, 3:17 am, "Pete" <phouts...@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
"geek_girl" <sarah.brilli...@xxxxxxxxx> schreef:

An emphatic yes to the first, and a meh, not much to speak of to the
second. Each extra pound of muscle only burns about 6 extra calories
a day.

Which is why the only people who can actually benefit from having muscle
mass wrt burning fat are the ones that went from, lets say, 180 pound as a
beginner to at least 230 pounds.

Right, most people don't benefit, wrt to burning calories, from
adding a little extra muscle mass.

This is also the reason why lifting heavy is a crappy way to lose fat for
women.

No, not at all. Even though the muscle doesn't burn a lot, the
activity of lifting burns a lot of calories, and if I weren't so damn
lazy I'd dig up the study that shows that it can keep metabolism
elevated for up to 38 hrs. Also, intense lifting keeps both men and
women from losing too much muscle while dieting, which can have a
significant effect on both health and appearance.

Are you not recommending heavy lifting for women at all, or are you
simply saying that they can't rely on it to lose fat, and they should
also keep calories in check if they wish to lose weight/fat? If it's
the latter I do agree with you. I think lifting helps a lot, but no
matter what type of exercise they're doing, most people also need to
reduce calories in order to achieve any significant fat loss.

  • Re: My first visit to the gym, how did I do?
    ... Even though the muscle doesn't burn a lot, ... Thats doesnt burn nowhere near as much as 1 hour of cardio. ... But lifting weights has a lot of other benefits. ... reduce calories in order to achieve any significant fat loss. ...
    (misc.fitness.weights)
  • Re: gaining alot of weight quickly
    ... I always thought that it burned an additional 50 calories per day, ... mostly because the brain, liver, etc. uses a huge amount of energy. ... Muscle burns comparatively little. ...
    (misc.fitness.weights)
  • Re: Bulking up & Toning Up advice.....
    ... The muscle building work is ok. ... calories of work and start you into the "fat burning" mode. ... I see that most days I still eat more calories than I burn off. ...
    (misc.fitness.weights)
  • Re: prudent bulking vs. pigging out
    ... As you gain muscle you start to burn more calories with everything you do. ... Not all caloric surplus is used solely for muscle gains (some fat is usually ... if the threshold of muscle tissue built per week has been already ...
    (misc.fitness.weights)
  • Re: How much exercise do you do?
    ... My plan was to run for 15 minutes after lifting on Mon-Wed-Fri on top ... > is impossible to both gain muscle and lose bodyfat. ... > gain muscle with all that cardio. ... I do 15 lifts (actually, ...
    (alt.support.diabetes)