Re: Post polio adaptations...

On Feb 16, 7:41 am, Sir Jackery <roeh...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Thu, 15 Feb 2007, Day Brown wrote:
I got polio in 1946, which paralyzed my left leg. Of course, the
muscles in my right leg maxed and I developed greater upper body
strength as well, so I got around pretty well with a leg brace.

But now, I'm 67, and can tell the weakening of the aging process is
limiting my mobility and causing falls.

So- what supplements should I be taking to regain the strength? The
triceps in my right leg is especially critical to keep that knee
locked while I shift my braced leg forward. But also, since I move
around my Ozark place with a cane to compensate for typical loss of
balance, when I carry something, its usually with one arm.

A 5 gallon bucket of rocks weighs 70 pounds, and I dont wanna loose
the ability to pick that up to take the sifted rocks out of the
garden.

Does the DHEA creme operate more locally, or is it just that epidermal
application is more effective?

DHEA is a testosterone precursor. It converts to androstene and then to
testosterone in the body. Transdermal creams are a more efficient delivery
mechanism than orally for prohormones. Thus the effect of the cream will
not be felt locally. I would recommend seeing your doctor about
testosterone replacement therapy rather than spending money on DHEA
creams. The creams are a more expensive less efficient means to the same
end.

Is not taking testosterone in any form likely to increase the risk of
prostate cancer?
Do you actually do resistance training in any form? This should help
maintain such muscles as you have.

.