Leg press machine for rehab? Good design?

Approximately 6 years ago I ruptured the anterior cruciate ligament in
my knee. I have managed to stabilize using cycling and weight training.
However, I fell about 2 foot onto it and it gave out causing pain, etc
etc. It feels pretty bad (still waiting for a diagnosis) and I think it
might be months before I can squat my own weight again. I was thus
thinking of building a hack squat/press machine, so that I could work
up from weights less than my body weight. I was going to build as they
seem soo expensive.

Which exercise would provide less stress for my knee? I have seen talk
of the hack squat producing more shear forces (think I should avoid
that!), is that the case?

Some machines like the
http://www.fitness-superstore.co.uk/__16_product_info_new3_asp2_5_prdID4_62165_usrID1_17.html

Show the backrest slightly curved at the lumber region, while others:
http://us.commercial.lifefitness.com/content.cfm/linearlegpress
http://www.gymworld.co.uk/prodpage.asp?ProdID=243 would appear to have
a flat back. Which is correct?

Do the same rules apply as in the squat, ie knees don't extend beyond
the toes? Is the ideal position/range of movement for the knee of
90degrees to 179? With the ankle calf angle staying as close to
90degrees as possible?

Many thanks for any help given

Pete

  • Re: Leg press machine for rehab? Good design?
    ... I have managed to stabilize using cycling and weight training. ... might be months before I can squat my own weight again. ... thinking of building a hack squat/press machine, ... Which exercise would provide less stress for my knee? ...
    (misc.fitness.weights)
  • Re: I will motorize the knee of my CNC mill soon
    ... The knee will sag differently every time. ... I think the addition of a counter weight, air assist or, ... The amount of upwards force is clearly much less than the weight of ... Since the table leans on the screw at any time, ...
    (rec.crafts.metalworking)
  • Re: OT: Weight issues
    ... without any pain since my knee surgery... ... activity has made the weight stay rather than get run off... ... I'm already in a gym... ... this is in addition to the gym work I'll be ...
    (rec.music.hip-hop)
  • Re: Video of my Practice Swing
    ... >>>Bracing the right knee a bit more might correct this. ... Having more weight on it? ... I know that when I do the pump drill and then hit a ball, ...
    (rec.sport.golf)
  • Re: Im overweight.
    ... knee that puffs up if I overdo it, ... and isn't needed; weight training for ... up diet and aerobic fitness and the jogging craze was at its height. ... Walking is good because of its convenience, but biking and swimming have much greater aerobic benefit for less impact. ...
    (rec.music.makers.guitar.acoustic)