Re: Another Circuit City visit

On Sun, 25 Jan 2009 10:26:13 -0800, Scott in SoCal
<scottenaztlan@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

In message <Pine.LNX.4.64.0901251150400.5672@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
Michael Black <et472@xxxxxx> wrote:

On Sun, 25 Jan 2009, ricok987 wrote:

Did you want something, or need something? One of the reason the economy is
in such sad shape is Americans have a history of buying a lot of stuff they
don't need-present company included.

You know there is a big difference between wanting something, and needing
it. We basically want more than we actually need. The trick is to get rid
of the wanting, and only acquire the needed. Americans do that on a large
scale in the near future and consumption would drop at an unpresidented
rate!

But that's the conundrum, since the economy is based on selling things.

I wonder what would happen if we were to revert to the kind of economy
that is NOT based on planned obsolescence and the creation of fad
desires in the minds of the consumer? Can you imagine driving a car
that looks and drives like a Checker Marathon for the next 20 years
and 500,000 miles? Even if someone managed to build one that looked
and drive like a Ferrari, most people would still get tired of driving
the same car every day. Hell, even Billy Joel got tired of banging
Christie Brinkley! And can you imagine Christie - or any other
American woman - wearing the same dresses year after year after year,
only buying new clothes when the old ones are completely worn out and
un-mendable?

There may be no going back - unless, of course, we are FORCED to by
economic collapse.

It looks like we are forced to buy economic collapse.

  • Re: U.S. New Home Sales Drop 33% in May
    ... worst economic collapse since the Great Depression. ... And it should be sort of apparent that buying a new home is a major ... There's an expectation of bank failures dropping off this fall. ... I have a little bit of money in Bank of America's preferred stock (BAC- ...
    (soc.retirement)
  • Re: U.S. New Home Sales Drop 33% in May
    ... worst economic collapse since the Great Depression. ... unemployment insurance, and Social Security, etc., to rely on. ... And it should be sort of apparent that buying a new home is a major ... There's an expectation of bank failures dropping off this fall. ...
    (soc.retirement)
  • Re: U.S. New Home Sales Drop 33% in May
    ... worst economic collapse since the Great Depression. ... unemployment insurance, and Social Security, etc., to rely on. ... And it should be sort of apparent that buying a new home is a major ...  And I thought the  folksm who are buying houses,are ...
    (soc.retirement)
  • Re: Is Molka espresso good espresso?
    ... You're right - it's richer by far than his wildest dreams. ... Americans may excel in personal hygiene, ... > Yes, they picked up (buying, not buying, or with war) all they wanted ... not really cheese. ...
    (alt.coffee)
  • Gloom and Doom economy? Why are Americans buying so many x-boxes?
    ... Americans feel confident about their personal ... so they buying more products. ... Billions of dollars worth of expensive, ... Corvette sales are UP. ...
    (alt.politics)