Recycled UPS Tracking Numbers

Twice, in recent shipments, I have found that UPS's silly habit, of
recycling their tracking numbers without clearing out the old data, has
caused confusion. A package from JC Penney and one returned to Dell both
had recycled tracking numbers. Since the email tracking function at UPS
only sends the status (no detail on intermediate stops), both packages
showed up as having been delivered in 2004. They showed as delivered, even
though they were still in transit because they still had the delivery data
from the last time that the tracking number was used. That delivery data is
not updated until the package actually gets delivered again, thus making the
status notices either confusing or useless. Phone calls to UPS get the same
result. Their poorly-trained reps think I have the wrong tracking number.
Only the detailed reports on their web site will reveal the actual
information, or the UPS shippers software. Such a silly problem and so very
easy to fix.

How stupid can UPS's database programmers be?

Luc

  • Re: Inkcessories & the printhead
    ... Never any info that package WAS ... In my experience the USPS tracking system is a joke. ... with their delivery most of the time, but they could learn a lot about ...
    (comp.periphs.printers)
  • Re: USPS problems are they that slow?
    ... Priority Mail does not provide tracking. ... A couple of years ago I had a Priority Mail package ... You want real tracking, use UPS or FedEx. ... insured and accepted for delivery. ...
    (rec.games.pinball)
  • Re: pipesandcigars.com? Never Again
    ... It was supposed to have been shipped out on Monday via USPS ... delivered by this method as Priority Mail has a 2-3 day delivery time. ... I was also provided a USPS tracking ... here is what the USPS web site has to say about the package. ...
    (alt.smokers.pipes)
  • Re: Tracking Number
    ... > You have some replies to your post that seem to indicate your package ... > had a FedEx tracking number the day after I placed my order online. ... Usually as soon as UPS picks up the package and scans the label, ... Even though I selected lowest cost delivery, ...
    (alt.sys.pc-clone.dell)
  • Re: FOR EBAY SELLERS--Good Luck Shipping Overseas??
    ... Your best friend will probably be some sort of tracking on the shipment. ... This will either tell you (and the customer) that the order was delivered, ... Shipping domestically you can use USPS Priority Mail with Delivery ...
    (rec.games.pinball)