Re: Glass refrigerator shelves and how they break into a gazillion tiny pieces

It's not because it's a Maytag, or that there was anything wrong
with the glass shelf.  It was tempered glass.  Tempered glass is
very strong -- you could bang a big heavy casserole down on it
without worrying about breaking it.  But it is very soft inside,
with a high-impact thin outside.  You can hit it with a hammer and
it will probably survive.  Scratch it a little and it shatters into
a million (* not a precise count) pieces.

If you accidentally bumped the edge or corner on something hard, it
would cause the glass to disintegrate as you described.  It's best to
handle tempered glass in a frame if possible.

SMS wrote:
I had a glass refrigerator shelf out for cleaning yesterday (one that fits over the vegetable bin drawer frame. I finished cleaning it, picked it up to place it aside so I could clean the frame, and the glass disintegrated into thousands of tiny pieces of glass, that flew all over the kitchen, and into other rooms.

I did a web search on this, and apparently it is a pretty common occurence. I wasn't using hot water or anything like that, just a sponge and cold water.

I replaced it with a piece of 3/16" plexiglass, which is fine for this shelf, but the other shelves are glued into plastic frames.

Anyone else have this happen. It's a Maytag refrigerator, about 6.5 years old.

  • Re: Tempered vs. Plate Glass, an empirical tell...
    ... "John Robertson" wrote in message ... Some claim tempered glass can actually edge chip without shattering. ... Others like myself dispute this, as the tempered glass would fail as it is designed, shattering into little pieces. ...
    (rec.games.pinball)
  • Re: Tempered vs. Plate Glass, an empirical tell...
    ... Some claim tempered glass can actually edge chip without shattering. ... Others like myself dispute this, as the tempered glass would fail as it is designed, shattering into little pieces. ... Whilst this produces much more resistance to pressure or impact, a small surface chip or scratch can weaken the surface layer, occasionally causing the glass to shatter into small pellets, sometimes for no apparent reason and well after the original damage occurred. ...
    (rec.games.pinball)
  • Re: Why are repro BGs so expensive?
    ... tempered glass. ... get blank tempered backglass for under $10 each here locally. ... > we bought for making pinball gear all set up and can just as easily print on ... > be tempered glass in backglass size for $5 let me know!! ...
    (rec.games.pinball)
  • Re: Tempered vs. Plate Glass, an empirical tell...
    ... claim tempered glass can actually edge chip without shattering. ... Place a known LCD w/polarized filter on the away side of the glass to ...
    (rec.games.pinball)