CC companies quick to block cards

for a while now, i've listed my mobile phone as my home phone on credit
accounts so they can always reach me if they suspect fraud... it seems they
are increasingly jumping on charges they deem 'suspicious' and will block
cards, or at least threaten to, very quickly.

Monday i got a call from Discover Security asking about 4 card swipes in two
days at Shell gas stations... well, yeah, that's what happens on long
holiday weekends when people travel. They couldn't even tell what cities
the swipes had been made in nor what the amounts were, only that they'd been
made. The call came about an hour after the 2nd of two charges on Monday.

None of the four charges has yet to actually show up on my account here a
couple/few days later. If i hadn't had my phone with me, i wonder if they
would've blocked it. Discover has called me several times like this when I
go motorcycle riding and might swipe it in 3 states in the course of a day.

i have read AMEX are overly quick to decline charges without even
calling.... sheesh, i wonder what constitutes 'unusual' use? Hope i don't
find out the hard way some day.

are other CC issuers as itchy? my one other card is First USA/Bank
One/Chase VISA, but i rarely use it.

i can't imagine being in a foreign country or something and suddenly having
my sole VISA or AMEX declined.

  • Re: XP Home SP2 may land me in court!!!
    ... > I assumed it was correct I SUCK I KNOW) I have never seen his card in my ... > charges against me for CC FRAUD!? ... If you both logged into the site using the same user/password, ... As an example, I have a number of accounts with computer vendors, they ...
  • Re: CC companies quick to block cards
    ... i've listed my mobile phone as my home phone on ... > accounts so they can always reach me if they suspect fraud... ... The call came about an hour after the 2nd of two charges on ... my one other card is First USA/Bank ...
    (misc.consumers)
  • Re: Beware of BEST PRICE CAMERAS in NEW YORK!!!
    ... I cancelled my card and also my ... Placed a 3-day delivery order for a Canon lens online, ... I ordered a Digital video camera and also asked if it ... brought to court on federal fraud charges, mail fraud and a host of other ...
    (rec.photo.digital)
  • Re: Travels....Day 9
    ... the same card and every station treats it differently. ... $125 and then the pump stopped. ... me a five dollar credit to boot..if more people would make a fuss ... for fraudulent charges made with your card or account information. ...
    (rec.outdoors.rv-travel)
  • Re: No VISAs at Flying J Truck Pumps
    ... Visa charges a merchant _more_ for charges to a 'corporate' card, ... I've fought with VISA about it. ... discrepancy -- by close audit of the transaction detail. ...
    (rec.outdoors.rv-travel)