diffutils-2.9 released [stable]

This is to announce diffutils-2.9. I'm calling it stable
because not much has changed, in spite of the long interval
since the last release.

Here's the diffutils home page, in case you're wondering what it is:
http://www.gnu.org/software/diffutils/

*** Note these are not the usual URLs ***

Here are the compressed sources:
http://meyering.net/diff/diffutils-2.9.tar.gz (1.7MB)
http://meyering.net/diff/diffutils-2.9.tar.xz (976KB)

Here are the GPG detached signatures[*]:
http://meyering.net/diff/diffutils-2.9.tar.gz.sig
http://meyering.net/diff/diffutils-2.9.tar.xz.sig

Eventually, the usual (following) URLs will become valid,
but for now, I am unable to upload to ftp.gnu.org.

Here are the compressed sources:
http://ftpmirror.gnu.org/diffutils/diffutils-2.9.tar.gz (1.7MB)
http://ftpmirror.gnu.org/diffutils/diffutils-2.9.tar.xz (976KB)

Here are the GPG detached signatures[*]:
http://ftpmirror.gnu.org/diffutils/diffutils-2.9.tar.gz.sig
http://ftpmirror.gnu.org/diffutils/diffutils-2.9.tar.xz.sig

[*] You can use either of the above signature files to verify that
the corresponding file (without the .sig suffix) is intact. First,
be sure to download both the .sig file and the corresponding tarball.
Then, run a command like this:

gpg --verify diffutils-2.9.tar.gz.sig

If that command fails because you don't have the required public key,
then run this command to import it:

gpg --keyserver keys.gnupg.net --recv-keys B9AB9A16

and rerun the `gpg --verify' command.

This release was bootstrapped with the following tools:
Autoconf 2.65.35-a2889
Automake 1.11a
Gnulib v0.0-3425-gde4d0a3

../NEWS

* Noteworthy changes in release 2.9 (2010-02-11) [stable]

** New features

New diff option --suppress-blank-empty.

Bring back support for `diff -NUM', where NUM is a number,
even when conforming to POSIX 1003.1-2001. This change reverts to
the behavior of GNU diff 2.7 and earlier. This is a change only
when conforming to POSIX 1003.1-2001; there is no effect when
conforming to older POSIX versions.

This change is in response to decisions taken in the January 2005
Austin Group standardization meeting. For more details, please see
"Utility Syntax Guidelines" in the Minutes of the January 2005
Meeting <http://www.opengroup.org/austin/docs/austin_239.html>.

sdiff now understands '1' and '2' as synonyms for 'l' and 'r'.

** Changes in behavior

sdiff and diff3 now invoke diff, not $(bindir)/diff

** Administrivia

New discussion and bug-reporting address: bug-diffutils@xxxxxxx

updated gnulib support

  • Re: ASDF-newbie: How to determine whether ASDF is *already* installed on my ISP?
    ... On unix, before using ANY command, you ... my way through those illegible 'man' pages for 'diff' once again, ... (doesn't ignore *all* white space, but might do what I need in this ... On both FreeBSD systems, asdf apparently isn't on system disk, so ...
    (comp.lang.lisp)
  • Re: Some sh(1) plans for 10.0
    ... Special expansion for assignments in export/readonly/local. ... This expands assignments in a command like export a=~ b=$1 as if the ... Users sometimes get confused by this not working and if POSIX plans to ...
    (freebsd-arch)
  • Re: POSIX on $()
    ... The '$' character is used to introduce parameter expansion, command ... it is a command substitution. ... output of "tempfile" as that's not a command specified by POSIX. ...
    (comp.unix.programmer)
  • Re: POSIX on $()
    ... The '$' character is used to introduce parameter expansion, command ... it is a command substitution. ... output of "tempfile" as that's not a command specified by POSIX. ...
    (comp.unix.programmer)
  • Re: [kde] I want to learn to patch
    ... "svn status" to see that all is well ... "svn diff" to see your patch. ... files to diff on the command line in. ...
    (KDE)