reference manual style?

I have a lengthy manuscript that I would like to typeset in reference
manual style. The main criteria are that each chapter should start on
a recto page, and the pages should be numbered 1-1, 1-2, ... 2-1,
2-2, ... I looked at the refman class, but the latter criterion was
listed as a "would like" there, so it is unclear if it is available.
Also, it was not clear to me whether and how I would have to tweak it.
(I would prefer out-of-the-box solutions, as "messing about with the
memoir class" --- the only other reference I could find --- seems
pretty hopeless for me.) I am but a casual user, so please be
gentle...

Any ideas?

Thanks

gus