FTP vs. HTTP

Robin Fairbairns <rf10@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

[Cross-posting and setting Followup-To:
news:comp.infosystems.www.misc, for obvious reasons.]

[...]

there remains significant ftp traffic, which despite its superiority
to http as a file transfer facility we probably could do without:
everybody believes http is the bee's knees despite it having been
specified for a different job).

What exactly makes FTP better suited for file transfer than
HTTP?

(I know, I've asked this question this question so many times,
but I haven't found an answer I could accept so far.)

[...]

--
FSF associate member #7257

  • Re: OT: FTP almost gone now? (was: Re: IPFW almost works now.)
    ... The reason we don't see any applications like this in ... >> people to to think and interact. ... >> have a new application based on HTTP or whatever else to replace FTP. ... one could make a very nice file transfer client out ...
    (FreeBSD-Security)
  • [fw-wiz] http transport for application protocols
    ... widespread protocols tunneled over http, including p2p file transfer ... and conferencing networks (Kazaa, Spyke, whatever): ...
    (Firewall-Wizards)
  • Re: File write time
    ... > The file transfer application being used is a http get. ... > from java program or a C program. ... to be able to provide meaningful advice. ...
    (comp.unix.programmer)
  • Re: FTP vs. HTTP
    ... > there remains significant ftp traffic, which despite its superiority ... > to http as a file transfer facility we probably could do without: ... What exactly makes FTP better suited for file transfer than ...
    (comp.text.tex)
  • [OT] file transfer over http?
    ... If I put a file on my apache web server and then put a link to that file on ... I could have sworn it's over http, but can't find the rfc ... that defines file transfer over http. ...
    (RedHat)