Definition of \overline and height of the line

Hi,

how is \overline defined? I was only able to find references to
\@@overline. Especially, what determines the distance between the a and
the line in \overline{a}? The distance between the line and the symbol
is too large in mdsymbol which I want to fix.

Thanks
Sebastian

  • Re: God Hates Aetherists
    ... *Distance is always measured with reference to some material which preserves the definition. ... Now, with this in mind, it is difficult to know what actually constitutes a distance in a space with no apparent material references. ... a plot of possible dynamics. ... Eventually I arrive at a new type of spacetime. ...
    (sci.physics.relativity)
  • Re: weinmann semi automatic brakes -- what is it?
    ... stopping distance during panic stops. ... References? ...
    (rec.bicycles.tech)
  • Re: Big Bang - Big Bollocks part 2
    ... between distance and redshift. ... Once again, Billy, to help you understand, here's a coupld of references ...
    (talk.origins)
  • Re: Definition of overline and height of the line
    ... Sebastian Schubert wrote: ... I was only able to find references to ... The distance between the line and the symbol ... \overline is a primitive of TeX. ...
    (comp.text.tex)
  • Re: 2009 Proposed US Contest Rules Changes
    ... We have many people concerned about "losing distance by having a start ... fix and a first turmpoint fix that might give a first leg that is longer ... cylinder minus start radius, you lose distance unless you exit the cylinder ...  The lower the tops of the thermals, ...
    (rec.aviation.soaring)