Re: [auctex] pdflatex: command not found

Aloha Leo,

Thank you. I appreciate the pointer to the emacs documentation and your solution to the problem.

All the best,

On 2009-12-06 00:06:45 -1000, Leo <sdl.web@xxxxxxxxx> said:

Tom Dye <tsd@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

Aloha all,

I'm setting up Emacs 23 on my OS X 10.5 MacBook and have run into an
old problem:

Running `LaTeX' on `tsd_135_drr' with ``pdflatex -synctex=1
-interaction=nonstopmode "\input" tsd_135_drr.tex''
/bin/sh: pdflatex: command not found

This is one I've solved before with other emacsen, so I went through
the old steps:
1) make sure exec-path has the path to pdflatex:

("/usr/bin" "/bin" "/usr/sbin" "/sbin"
"/Applications/" "/usr/texbin")

2) copy the failed command from the output window and see if it runs
in the shell (pre-pending the path to pdflatex in exec-path)

This is a known problem. See: (info "(emacs)Mac OS / GNUstep").

So what you need to do is to create
/Users/someusername/.MacOSX/environment.plist with the following in

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "";>
<plist version="1.0">

Restart 23 and it will get the env PATH from that file.

Tom Dye
T. S. Dye & Colleagues, Archaeologists, Inc.
Honolulu, Hawai`i