Re: \label in \footnote(s) in LaTeX

Dave Walden wrote:
Hi,

Can someone point me a the spec for the scope of a \label declaration
in a \footnote{}. Sometimes this works for me and sometimes it
doesn't. Let's say I have
\footnote{\label{fnfoo} text}
and I later refer to it via $^{\ref{fnfoo}}$ in the text, i.e., I want
to refer to the same footnote number again. This works when the \ref
is in the main text but not when it is in another footnote. On the
other hand, if I turn the footnotes into endnotes, then the \ref in
the endnote works. I can get the equivalent of the \ref in the later
footnote to work by doing the following in the first footnote:
\label{fnfoo} text}\gdef\fnzoo{\ref{fnfoo}}
and then later using $^{\fnzoo}$ in the second footnote, assuming the
footnotes have been defined in the right order. Is there some more
"official" way for doing what I want to do?

Best regards, Dave

well, it might help if you would provide a minimal example, such that we can see the problems for ourselfs

This works fine

\documentclass[a4paper]{memoir}
\begin{document}
test\footnote{test\label{a}}

test\footnote{Via footnote $^{\ref{a}}$}
\end{document}

--

/daleif (remove RTFSIGNATURE from email address)

LaTeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
LaTeX book: http://www.imf.au.dk/system/latex/bog/ (in Danish)
Remember to post minimal examples, see URL below
http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=minxampl
http://www.minimalbeispiel.de/mini-en.html

  • Re: MT VOID, 03/14/14 -- Vol. 32, No. 37, Whole Number 1797
    ... when I used 'Oriental' to refer people of typical ... The correct term is now apparently ... There is a footnote to this effect in The Cambridge Guide to Fantasy ... Chicago a couple of years ago that advertised "hot Asian buns". ...
    (rec.arts.sf.fandom)
  • Re: Reuse a footnote reference
    ... the way to refer to footnote 1 more than once is to set up a cross ... the same Screen Tip (yellow pop-up boxes when you mouseover) as the note, ...
    (microsoft.public.word.docmanagement)
  • Re: label in footnote(s) in LaTeX
    ... to refer to the same footnote number again. ... is in the main text but not when it is in another footnote. ... at least one of the problems seems (in limited testing) to be avoided ...
    (comp.text.tex)
  • Multiple entries in a list to refer to a single footnote?
    ... I'm running Word 2007, and I want to show that several items I have in a ... list within a table refer to _one single_ footnote, ... create a new footnote, with a different symbol, for each referenced item. ... I just want to have an asterisk by several items in my list, ...
    (microsoft.public.word.docmanagement)
  • label in footnote(s) in LaTeX
    ... Can someone point me a the spec for the scope of a \label declaration ... to refer to the same footnote number again. ... is in the main text but not when it is in another footnote. ...
    (comp.text.tex)