Re: unicode failure with inputenc package

On Jun 3, 3:04 pm, r...@xxxxxxxxxxxx (Robin Fairbairns) wrote:
r <inp...@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
On Jun 3, 1:09 pm, Joseph Wright <joseph.wri...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
On Jun 3, 12:43 pm, r <inp...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
What to do if I want all utf8 character encoding to be accepted
automatically for all tex documents that I create?

don't even imagine (ordinary) latex or pdflatex is useful.

I think xe(la)tex is going to be a good idea!

Well, I've now got this version:

latex
This is pdfTeXk, Version 3.141592-1.40.5 (Web2C 7.5.6)
%&-line parsing enabled.
**

that's tex live 2007 -- have you just installed that?

tex live includes a more-or-less working xetex (and hence xelatex).

Now I haven't got a dvi viewer; xdvi command no longer exists. Can't
seem to install either. What is the program to view dvi files?

xdvi views dvi files. with so little to go on, my only assumption is
that you've suppressed the installation of xdvi (since it's a standard
part of tex live). it's possible you suppressed it unwittingly, or
that the copy you have wilfully suppresses dvi use anywhere, or that
the copy you have provides xdvi as a separate package.

start a new thread describing how you got to where you are. at the
start of this thread you were using tetex; now you are using tex live
with no working xdvi, but you have given us no hint how you got there.
--
Robin Fairbairns, Cambridge

I don't know either and gave up. So, I un-installed texlive (didn't
work, didn't like it) and returned to tetex. Then I removed the
unicode character and replaced with:

$0\,^{\circ}\mathrm{C}$

So the result would be 0 DegC.

I tried to install tetexunicoderpm but received conflict error with
tetexlatex30381mdv20080i586, so gave up trying that. Luckily I'm
writing in english will not need unicode for now. If anyone know how
to resolve this conflict, thanks.

  • Re: gfortran: OK, I quit, you win
    ... >> TEX is available under a different set of packaging. ... I quickly found TeX ... > fink and so just installed the fink copy, ... > install, I'll do differently. ...
    (comp.lang.fortran)
  • Re: The Problems of TeX
    ... the user already knows about TeX and friends. ... Documentation is poor, ... I don't see that many people are in a position to install a TeX ... But you do fall into the category of `Unix expert', ...
    (comp.text.tex)
  • Re: can tetex and texlive coexist at the same time on the same linux-pc?
    ... virtual machines are a very robust way to support tetex and texlive. ... The VMware player is easy to install and there are a number of prepackaged runtimes for various linux versions. ... At work I have TL2005 with multiple binaries on a server, so I just mount the partion with TL2005 in a VM, set the PATH, and go. ... In general, it should only be necessary to change the PATH variable to switch between the tex system that runs from /usr/bin and an alternative that keeps the binaries in a separate location. ...
    (comp.text.tex)
  • Re: unicode failure with inputenc package
    ... seem to install either. ... part of tex live). ... that the copy you have wilfully suppresses dvi use anywhere, ... the copy you have provides xdvi as a separate package. ...
    (comp.text.tex)
  • Re: The Problems of TeX
    ... the user already knows about TeX and friends. ... Some TeX systems need ... I don't see that many people are in a position to install a TeX ... I'm not a TeX installation/configuration wizard and never have been - ...
    (comp.text.tex)