Re: unicode failure with inputenc package

On Jun 3, 12:29 pm, Ulrike Fischer <ne...@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Am Tue, 3 Jun 2008 04:14:27 -0700 (PDT) schrieb r:

Readers,

I tried to add the degree sign (°) and received the error shown below.
According to a search in this forum, this package is supposed to be
utf8 compliant (Frank Mittelbach, 26-05-03). I have read the package
documentation for inputenc (my local disk installation
file:///usr/share/doc/tetex-doc-3.0/latex/base/inputenc.dvi), but this
does not state that utf8 is included (there is a list of various latin
iso, ibm cp encodings amongst others). I'm confused by this apparent
contradiction.

I also tried \textdegree but the result was also an error: "undefined
control sequence".

inputenc can declare any unicode char, but as default it sets up only
the commands for a small part of unicode -- the chars it thinks you will
use in the document -- and it use the encodings you loads with fontenc
to determine this part.

The textdegree sign is part of the TS1-encoding. So you should load the
TS1-encoding, then ° will be mapped to \textdegree, and you should also
define \textdegree. Both together can be done by loading the package
textcomp:

\documentclass[a4paper, 12pt]{scrartcl}
\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
\usepackage{textcomp}
\usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}
\begin{document}
° \textdegree
\end{document}

--
Ulrike Fischer

What to do if I want all utf8 character encoding to be accepted
automatically for all tex documents that I create?

  • Re: unicode failure with inputenc package
    ... According to a search in this forum, this package is supposed to be ... utf8 compliant. ... documentation for inputenc (my local disk installation ... ibm cp encodings amongst others). ...
    (comp.text.tex)
  • Re: Finding installed package files
    ... > you appear to want is a file that lists executables and documentation. ... contains links to the most important information about the installation. ... > doubt others could finesse the command. ... I do understand that rpm has many options that tell me about a package. ...
    (alt.os.linux.redhat)
  • Re: Multiple files in a .dtx
    ... a .ins file to extract additional files from a .dtx file (and how to ... I need the package to contain a .sty file and several ... It automatically adds a default preamble and postamble. ... The dtxtut and doctex documentation seems less than forthcoming about ...
    (comp.text.tex)
  • Re: Re: Preseeded setting on openssh-server ignored
    ... upon installation and that the default value had changed and that this ... The package maintainer documented the change to the default ... I can find no documentation supporting the use of ... Or is this a hard setting on the side of Debian ...
    (Debian-User)
  • utf8 Problems
    ... I converted to utf8 in the hope that my non ASCII character problems ... I used utf8migrationtool and locale now says: ... Is there a package which is responsible for all these problems so I ... Pin: release a=testing ...
    (Debian-User)