LaTeX Error: Unknown graphic extension: .gif

Dear LaTeXers,

I just started a new job as a tech writer, and i'd like to use LaTeX
to write our manuals. So i started to make an example to show my
colleagues how great it is, but i can't include a gif file !! I
promise i looked all morning for an answer on the web...

I (try to) use MiKTex with TeXnikCenter, and compile with "LaTeX =>
pdf" compiler. Here's the bit of code:

\documentclass{book} % Your input file must contain these two
lines
%\usepackage[pdftex]{graphicx} % this i tried but didn't work
\usepackage{graphicx}

\begin{document}

\includegraphics[height=13pt]{file.gif}

\end{document}

and i get the error "LaTeX Error: Unknown graphic extension: .gif".
Mind you, including a pdf file works fine.

Thank in advance,
Marie.

  • Re: LaTeX Error: Unknown graphic extension: .gif
    ... I just started a new job as a tech writer, and i'd like to use LaTeX ... I use MiKTex with TeXnikCenter, and compile with "LaTeX => ... including a pdf file works fine. ... You can't include a gif file in pdftex. ...
    (comp.text.tex)
  • Re: A few problems
    ... These are the two references from the pdf file. ... text and try to compile again. ... latex somefile.tex ...
    (comp.text.tex)
  • Re: LaTeX vs PDFTeX | a clue?
    ... qui illum adipiscing duis qui ipsum feugait esse molestie, ... The key to success/failure in getting this to compile with LaTeX (thus ... Simple reason - the LaTex compilation with the microtype package ...
    (comp.text.tex)
  • Re: Distrubuting C Sources
    ... but prefer to compile them in whenever possible. ... The answer is, of course, no - because LaTeX regularly makes ... That could be true - it depends on how much of the functionality is ... gifs belong in a fairground, ...
    (comp.lang.c)
  • Re: multi-threading include{} ?
    ... \includeand a full compile are how labels are written. ... e.g. the values of all LaTeX counters are written to ... to a separate shell script, which invokes latex multiple times [with ... thus you start each day with uptodate .aux files. ...
    (comp.text.tex)