Re: Setting chapter style within frontmatter (memoir class)

José Carlos Santos wrote:
Hi all,

I am typesetting a book using the memoir class. I want that every
chapter title is centered, without the word "Chapter" and with the
chapter number at the left of the title. No problem here:

\documentclass[12pt]{memoir}
\makechapterstyle{mystyle}{%
\renewcommand{\printchaptername}{}
\renewcommand{\chapternamenum}{}
\renewcommand{\chapnumfont}{\chaptitlefont\center}
\renewcommand{\printchapternum}{\chapnumfont \thechapter\space}
\renewcommand{\afterchapternum}{}}
\chapterstyle{mystyle}
\begin{document}
\frontmatter
\tableofcontents
\chapter{Foreword}
This book is about\dots
\mainmatter
\chapter{Begin}
So\dots
\end{document}

The problem is that the command "\chapterstyle{mystyle}" seems to take
effect after the \mainmatter declaration. Why is that? The memoir
documentation only says:

The \frontmatter declaration sets the folios to be printed in
lowercase roman numerals, starts the page numbering from i, and
prohibits any numbering of sectional divisions. Caption, equations,
etc., will be numbered continuously.

The chapter styles are not mentioned here at all. But I want all my
chapters to be as described above (including the table of contents).
What should I do?

Best regards,

Jose Carlos Santos

your style is not complete, you need configurations for unnumbered chapters

add

\renewcommand\printchapternonum[1]{\chaptitlefont\centering ##1}

also \center is not a command, use \centering

--

/daleif (remove RTFSIGNATURE from email address)

LaTeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
LaTeX book: http://www.imf.au.dk/system/latex/bog/ (in Danish)
Remember to post minimal examples, see URL below
http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=minxampl
http://www.minimalbeispiel.de/mini-en.html

  • Re: Page number on first page of chapters (memoir class)
    ... I am typesetting a book using the memoir class. ... Jose Carlos Santos ... the chapter pagestyle is not a pagestyle on its own, it is an alias for plain, and as such changing it does not always work ... LaTeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq ...
    (comp.text.tex)
  • Re: Setting chapter style within frontmatter (memoir class)
    ... I am typesetting a book using the memoir class. ... prohibits any numbering of sectional divisions. ... LaTeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq ...
    (comp.text.tex)
  • Re: Problem with memoir + hyperref (TeX capacity exceeded)
    ... I've changed the manner in which memoir defines its floats, and hypcap redefines the two general floats once more, and that seems to upset something. ... I am using the latest versions of the memoir class and of the hyperref package, both of which were released only a few days ago. ... Jose Carlos Santos ... LaTeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq ...
    (comp.text.tex)
  • Re: Symbol in margin
    ... TOC. ... fails for subsections and subsubsections, ... well, we have tools for the memoir class, but in general, it may be a bit more difficult. ... LaTeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq ...
    (comp.text.tex)