multilingual biblatex bibliographies (babel)

Hello,
I've been playing around with biblatex for a while now, and nearly
everything I have tried so far has worked fine. But there is this
problem with the babel support that is described in the documentation:
the bibliography entries are always typeset in the standard language
defined by the bable package. So basically, string replacement works,
but I'd like to have, for instance, German publications with "(Hg.)"
and English ones with "(ed.)". If I put \selectlanguage{} before
\printbibliography, the title of the bibliography appears in the given
language, but none of the bibliography entries respond to the command.
Of course I have tried the "hyphenation" field, as proposed in the
documentation, setting the "babel" option at \usepackage{biblatex} to
"other", but the babel definition seems to override any other babel
command when it comes to the bibliography entries. The "hyphenation"
field does however request the desired language, as there is an error
message if that language is not loaded by the babel package. In short:
biblatex itself seems to work fine, but its language definitions are
somehow totally ignored. Nor are the bibliography entries accessible
by any babel command. Only the basic definition in the preamble proves
that its not the functionality itself that causes the trouble. -- So
have I missed something important? It doesn't seem to be a difficult
thing to do according to the manual. And I don't think it is for me
either.

Thanks for your answers.

  • Re: Biblatex and Portuguese
    ... portuguese language in babel package. ... If I changed the Babel language to Spanish, ... biblatex.def 2009/09/20 v0.8i biblatex generic definitions ...
    (comp.text.tex)
  • Re: Biblatex and Portuguese
    ... portuguese language in babel package. ... If I changed the Babel language to Spanish, ... biblatex.def 2009/09/20 v0.8i biblatex generic definitions ...
    (comp.text.tex)
  • Re: multilingual biblatex bibliographies (babel)
    ... problem with the babel support that is described in the documentation: ... language, but none of the bibliography entries respond to the command. ...
    (comp.text.tex)
  • Re: amsrefs and babel
    ... author={Grothendieck, Alexander}, ... title={Sur quelques points d'alg\`ebre ... lots of errors from xypic because the french option to babel makes ... a language and make them available at \selectlanguagetime? ...
    (comp.text.tex)
  • Re: The origin of gender
    ... in the history of living organisms did a single culture develop ... Tower of Babel was, anyway? ... I think the natural process by which the French language came to be is ...
    (talk.origins)