Report: How to install and to use TTF fonts in LaTeX (MiKTeX 2.4) - JUST IN 4 STEPS

Hi, everyone!

That is a very common question in LaTeX, and several ansewrs have been
given to it along the time. Recenlty, some changes have been made in
MiKTeX, version 2.4 (something in the way MAP files are managed), so
that all the solutions I found in the Internet didn't succeed -fonts
imported from TTF files looked like "rastered" in the PDF final
document, I mean, not vectorial, nice and smooth but like "bit maps"
(it can be appreciated when the document is enlarged up to 1200% or
more).

So, basically, I think THIS is THE solution, at least by the moment. It
has been tested on Windows, with a MikTeX standard installation,
version 2.4. I hope that in the current 2.5 version it will also work
(by the way, if anyone could check it and report the results here, it
would be great).

STEP 1 - Use MTFI in order to do the "hard work", I mean, to create and
install all FD, MAP, TFM and VF files into the appropiate MiKTeX
directories (I mean, C:\texmf and so on).

You can get MTFI here: ftp://ftp.profzone.ch/drzoom/mtfi/. The project
web page is this: http://www.mtfi.drzoom.ch/.

Repeat STEP 1 as many times as different TTF fonts you wish to install.

STEP 2 - Create a file called "updmap.cfg" with just one line of code:

map winfonts.map

and save it into C:\localtexmf\miktex\config (or the equivalent
directory in your local installation folder of MiKTeX).

STEP 3 - Refresh database names, as usual:

Start > All programs > MiKTeX > MiKTeX Options. "General" and [File
name database] press "Refresh Now" button.

STEP 4 - In a DOS command windows, type this:

initexmf --mkmaps (two consecutive "-" before "mkmaps")

Now, that's all. LaTeX or, at least, pdfLaTeX, is ready to produce
documents with embebed TTF fonts, and not bit maps. The quality of the
document will be higher, and it will be smaller.

Now you can use imprted TTF fonts like you would do with other ones:

% Use this for just a piece of text
{\usefont{T1}{futuraconli}{m}{n} We are writing in Futura Condensed
Light}

% Use this to use fonts different from the default ones in all the
document
\renewcommand{\rmdefault}{font1_name} % roman or script font
\renewcommand{\sfdefault}{font2_name} % sans-serif font
\renewcommand{\ttdefault}{font3_name} % teletype font

There are some alternative manual ways to do STEP 1. You can check them
here:

· http://c.caignaert.free.fr/ttf-english.html. Very good and clear
explanation.

· http://filemon.mecanica.upm.es/CervanTeX/texemplares4.pdf, pp
15-23

· http://www.tug.org/tex-archive/macros/latex/contrib/unicode/languages.ps.gz,
pp 30-31

Older but still valid files:

· http://www.geocities.com/kijoo2000/ttf4tex.html

· http://www.radamir.com/tex/. THIS is the ROOT reference. Many
people says this web page is THE solution, but STEP 2 is still
necessary in order not to obtain "rastered" fonts in PDF.

· http://carlos.garciaargos.com/node/161. A Spanish version of the
previous file.

There is a Spanish and a Valencian version for these instructions (nice
detailed version), that can be downloaded from here:

http://personales.upv.es/~vigibos/TTF2pdfLaTeX-2006_esp.zip (Spanish)

http://personales.upv.es/~vigibos/TTF2pdfLaTeX-2006_val.zip
(Valencian)

If anyone feels like helping me to translate these extended
instructions into English, I would appreciate it.

By the way, and, last but not least: SORRY FOR MY POOR ENGLISH!!!
:-S

Please, check these instructions and report your suggestions and
comments into this thread. I would like to make it easier for people
looking in the future for a solution for using TTF in LaTeX. I think it
would be great.

Thanks!

--
Vicent

  • Re: Registering old PSFONTS directory in MiKTeX 2.5
    ... The fonts are all installed with Adobe Type ... apparently MiKTeX 2.5 now wants the fonts to be in proper TDS ... search path -- because it is is not structured according to TDS. ... It should work for all flavours of Windows: ...
    (comp.text.tex)
  • Re: Registering old PSFONTS directory in MiKTeX 2.5
    ... The fonts are all installed with Adobe Type ... apparently MiKTeX 2.5 now wants the fonts to be in proper TDS ... I have embedded a "Zip Slack" miniature Linux system. ... updates to TeX would not wipe out the linkages. ...
    (comp.text.tex)
  • Re: PostScript specials could not be rendered
    ... The location of standard fonts is probably out of synch with the pathes mentioned in fontmap.miktex. ... I have reinstalled both miktex and ghostscript but the problem remains. ... I have used the miktex package manager to uninstall and reinstall both miktex-ghostscript-base and miktex-ghostscript-bin. ...
    (comp.text.tex)
  • Re: More font questions in MiKTeX
    ... > It looks as if some MiKTeX info on the web is not correct. ... > How can I get pdflatex/dvipdfm to embed all fonts in the PDF? ... > pdflatex config file in MiKTeX. ... But MiKTeX has a note not to modify ...
    (comp.text.tex)
  • Re: TTF2TFM
    ... TeX uses numbers and not names to refer to glyphs. ... >generate T1/TS1 encoded fonts as well as to correct kerning flaws. ... dvips handles ttf fonts in exactly the same way. ... Yes, pdftex does use PostScript-style encoding files for ttf fonts, ...
    (comp.text.tex)