Re: CTAN has a new package: visualtex

txy said:
LyX is interesting, but it is not TeX (can not edit TeX directly)

It's focused on LaTeX, not TeX, and allows one to import LaTeX
documents (with varying degrees of success --- I use it for new work,
so haven't troubled over that).

and
it is trying to be WYSIWYG.

No, it is trying to be ``What You See Is What You Mean'', _not_
WYSIWYG. It's that difference which makes it interesting, innovative
and uniquely useful.

William
(who is writing out by hand a book on his pen slate using LyX)

  • Re: Word processors for Mac - the verdict
    ... The fact that one does the two jobs one after the other using LaTeX ... clearer and more straightforward than using a wysiwyg method and as ... the degree of imprecision and lack of user control attendant ... `Italics' in a menu somewhere. ...
    (uk.comp.sys.mac)
  • Re: Gesucht: Freie Ersatzschrift fuer Reporter Two
    ... In dem Fall wurde WYSIWYG verwendet. ... Möglichkeiten dieser Programme. ... Aber LaTeX ist relativ weit weg von den urspruenglichen Zielen. ... Er verkalkulierst die Kosten fuer die Hardware, den Stromverbrauch, ...
    (de.comp.text.dtp)
  • Re: converting text to pdf
    ... So I went with LaTeX (and had to do without tables for that part ... Same is true for LO and other WYSIWYG word processors. ... with "a page" in one and you'll find that you need a DTP program. ... Did they add a DTP module to LO now? ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Word processors for Mac - the verdict
    ... *If the layout matters*, then you have to be able to see it as you ... Font selection is difficult compared to selection in Word and ... fount selection inside a document is trivially easy in LaTeX; ... Without a WYSIWYG front end, it's not always easy to find out how to ...
    (uk.comp.sys.mac)
  • Re: Your opinion: latex or context for me?
    ... Jonathan Fine wrote: ... I like that I can edit a latex ... had Latex been a WYSIWYG ...
    (comp.text.tex)