Re: Illegal address reference

vimal wrote:
Hi,
I want to know what causes Illegal address reference Trap. How can it
be resolved?

Thanks...

It means that the program tried to read or write memory that was not assigned to it.

The most common cause is an incorrect value in a pointer variable. If you forget to put a value into a pointer before using the pointer, that frequently can cause this error.

An incorrect subscript value for an array reference can also cause an illegal address reference, though this seems to happen less often that incorrect pointers.

To resolve the problem, get the program into the debugger at the point of the error. Examine the program statements, check all the values referenced to see whether any are incorrect.

For more explicit instructions, we would have to know more details about your program.

  • Passing IUnknown ** to a COM method from VB6
    ... takes a pointer to pointer to IUnknown. ... this was resolved by addng a reference to a TLB i obtained from ... how can i resolve this issue?? ...
    (microsoft.public.vb.com)
  • Re: Question on LSP
    ... Sure, the developer must keep track of which type has been assigned to each pointer to manage complexity in creating the design, which is why the 'T' is in T*. ... Subtyping is a relation which does not ... Those object types are completely orthogonal to the semantics of being an object reference. ... aggregate references, is the aggregate of referenced objects or target ...
    (comp.object)
  • Re: Question on LSP
    ... Because construction paradigms have different goals. ... But that has nothing to do with what a pointer type ... But that does not mean that the semantics of an object reference is ... aggregate references, is the aggregate of referenced objects or target ...
    (comp.object)
  • Re: Modifying Class Object
    ... Before I start, note we're talking about semantics, not ... For example, as I used as reference in my first posting, the Java language spec. ... A pointer stores a reference to something. ...
    (comp.lang.python)
  • Re: Question on LSP
    ... equivalent addresses in the same context. ... Note that the language allows us to use a name like 'T' on the reference as a mnemonic so that the developer can keep track of what is happening with the indirection. ... Modern languages have proper pointer types. ...
    (comp.object)