Re: Disk Utility vs Disk First Aid?

In article <vilain-369302.12335825082011@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Michael
Vilain <vilain@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Be very careful about mixing the disk structure of OS 9 and MacOS X.
There were changes to the filesystem in one of the releases that made OS
9 flag things as damaged when MacOS X didn't have a problem with it. I
stopped doing disk repairs in OS 9 altogether and only did them in MacOS
X.

both support hfs+. there is no issue other than permissions and acls.

OS 9 still uses resource forks which were removed in MacOS X.

resource forks were not removed and still actively used, by apple.

While
MacOS X's zip and tar can deal with those modifications, I used Stuffit
for the longest time until I retired MacOS 9 and 10.4.11 entirely over a
year ago.

stuffit is useful for the occasional .sit file, but that's about it.

Also, OS 9 knows nothing about the Unix file permissions.

true.

MacOS 9's Finder file attributes are separate from MacOS X's Unix inode
attributes.

mac os 9's file attributes are still supported.

MacOS 9's Finder file creator and type data is changed to
file name extension at some point in MacOS X.

type and creator codes are still supported but they have a lower
priority than extensions.

Do some research on the
Apple web site to know what these issue are and make frequent backups.

yes, you should do both.

And stay away from Disk Warrior and anything by Symantec. They will
surely fowl up your system bigtime.

symantec will screw things up, but disk warrior is by far, the best
disk utility made. it's flat out amazing and will repair pretty much
anything.

  • Re: Better eSATA Chipset than Silicon Image 3124?
    ... MacOS X uses Disk Utility's soft RAID ... eSATA chipset that: ... you'll need support in the OS for that. ...
    (comp.sys.mac.system)
  • Re: A convert to Apple says thanks
    ... >> player that doesn't care about regions. ... >> load as mass storage devices, but no iTunes integration. ... > struggling to find one that *does* support CCMP. ... If MacOS ...
    (uk.comp.sys.mac)
  • Re: Name change
    ... MacOS 8 is a good deal less screen-efficient than System 6, ... The original Macintosh OS was very odd (btw, it did support colour, sort ... 400K single sided discs, and a non-hierarchical disc ...
    (uk.people.support.depression)
  • Re: Disk Utility vs Disk First Aid?
    ... in OS 9 Disk First Aid and got errors showing. ... I ran repair right away and to my surprise it reported ... Be very careful about mixing the disk structure of OS 9 and MacOS X. ... MacOS 9's Finder file attributes are separate from MacOS X's Unix inode ...
    (comp.sys.mac.system)
  • Re: New Mac
    ... MacOS X 10.3 before it had a `production' quality OS X as far as my ... supported' to `too old to expect anyone to support it' without ever ... I bought a Performa 475 in 1994, just before Apple dropped 68k Macs ...
    (uk.comp.sys.mac)