Re: intel era to end?

On 2011-08-12 13:41 , Michelle Steiner wrote:
In article<-KudnewuEeP1wtjTnZ2dnUVZ_r-dnZ2d@xxxxxxxxxxxx>,
Alan Browne<alan.browne@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

In one of those articles intel acknowledge the signal from Apple. Intel
are keenly aware of the PowerPC downfall at Apple and Apple's
willingness to switch processor base. (This speaks very highly of Apple
OS s/w quality - portability).

Of course it could also mean Apple leaning to AMD if they could make
cooler processors. (I don't really know AMD's abilities in this
regard).

The articles I read indicate the AMD route, not the A6 route, for Macs.

I doubt that the public, even the most fanatical fanboi (with the possible
exception of Oxford), will accept yet another processor-family change for
the Macintosh within at least the next five years.

I agree with that. But Apple's spectacular rise over the past 5 years or so has given them swagger that could be painful to us users. Don't ignore the Apple strategy makers who could further blur the lines between the "computer" (Mac) side and the emerging portable computing line. There may be a strategy map at Apple that sees the complete disappearance of the Mac by 2020.

IAC it would be to Apple's advantage (and perhaps ours) to play AMD v. intel.

I've had both processor types across a variety of machines and except for benchmark peeking it doesn't make a hell of a lot of difference in use at any purchase point in time.

--
gmail originated posts filtered due to spam.

  • Re: An Apple for the Enterprise
    ... From the perspective of a steely eyed IT buyer, how is a Mac not like a garden-variety PC? ... The perfect fit for your Enterprise. ... Too bad it still won't solve OS X's fundamental problems in server applications. ... You also have to consider that Apple really isn't geared to provide adequate vendor support for enterprise customers. ...
    (comp.sys.mac.advocacy)
  • An Apple for the Enterprise
    ... mainstream enterprise Quintum VoIP solutions. ... Apple accepts that raising user and administrator productivity is the ... and power to users and server administrators alike. ... With the introduction of the Mac Pro workstation, ...
    (comp.sys.mac.advocacy)
  • Re: Why Snow Leopard will Bomb.
    ... Apple netbook being subsidized down to competitive levels ... anyone could afford a Mac. ... fact that Apple machines cost more and the fact that Apple's customers ... Macs can't run 64-bit apps because no such app exists for them. ...
    (comp.sys.mac.advocacy)
  • Dvorak Writes Stupidest Computer Article Of All Time
    ... Hey Mac Advocates! ... Shame on them paying Dvorak to write it!! ... Will Apple Adopt Windows? ...
    (comp.sys.mac.advocacy)
  • Re: An Apple for the Enterprise
    ... mainstream enterprise Quintum VoIP solutions. ... Apple accepts that raising user and administrator productivity is the ... and power to users and server administrators alike. ... Mac models are upgraded ...
    (comp.sys.mac.advocacy)