Re: Cloning all data from old to new Mac

John McWilliams <jpmcw@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 4/24/11 4:07 AM, Daniel Cohen wrote:
I have a question related to this but more specific.

I believe that when using Setup Assistant (or Migration Assistant) items
in /usr/local do NOT get transferred.

Am I right in this belief?

If so, are there any other items that I need to tranfer manually?

What lives in that file that MUST get transferred?
(Sorry can't answer the question, but I've been using M.A. for years
without noticing that anything significant didn't make it across.)

Some things that are significant to me are in /usr/local, specifically
in /usr/local/bin and /usr/local/sbin.

These folders might not even exist on your system.
--
<http://www.decohen.com>
The Labyrinth of the Heart: Changed Myths for Changing Lives

  • Re: Cloning all data from old to new Mac
    ... John McWilliams wrote: ... I believe that when using Setup Assistant (or Migration Assistant) items ... I move the shell scripts that I've placed in /usr/local/bin manually. ...
    (comp.sys.mac.system)
  • Re: Cloning all data from old to new Mac
    ... I believe that when using Setup Assistant (or Migration Assistant) items ... Changed Myths for Changing Lives ... e-book ...
    (comp.sys.mac.system)
  • Re: Migration Assistant looping
    ... to my shiny new Mac Mini running Mountain Lion. ... Migration Assistant or Setup Assistant? ... The latter runs the first time ...
    (comp.sys.mac.system)
  • Re: migrating to a new Mac
    ... That's Setup Assistant which runs on first startup. ... Migration Assistant is what one runs manually after first ... The two applications provide the user interface for setting up the ...
    (comp.sys.mac.system)
  • Re: Transferring information from PowerBook G4 to MacBook Pro?
    ... If you have an ethernet cable lying around, ... You will get better results by using Setup Assistant instead of ... Migration Assistant. ... more user accounts than you wanted to have, ...
    (comp.sys.mac.system)