Re: Be warned about Software Update to 10.5.8

In article <1j41pot.yo9epjjjel03N%thewildrover@xxxxxx>, Andy Hewitt
<thewildrover@xxxxxx> wrote:

Guenther Fischer <never@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

[..]
After this mess my advice is download and use the combo installer and
avoid the Software Updater

I am quite sure, that you had a bad system before you tried the update.
My advise: Always check/repair the drive with apple´s drive tool or
disk warrior, reboot and the apply the upgrade. It will work in almost
all cases. I did 8 upgrades today and none failed. For some reason, I
applied the combo on two more volumes. They also did their job without
any problem.

I agree. As a rule I usually install with the combo updater, but this
time, I just couldn't be bothered.

However, a good standard practice I find works is, as you say, to check
the drive and that the system is stable *before* applying the updates.

I suggest maybe running a hardware check too. We had troubles with some
installation software with the old dual G5 until I found that one of
the high memory ram modules was in trouble. It was as if the installs
were trying to use as much ram as possible, while my apps did not
normally go there. Replaced the bad ram module and all was well after
that.
You may have a hardware problem with your machine.

--
Jim

  • Re: [opensuse]
    ... Mount fails with some stupid error. ... intuitive and informative apps like Synaptic. ... dependency conflicts I just let it install. ... If you don't install Zen Updater openSuSE ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: Is it worth it...?
    ... Regardless of the quality of Word 2008, no one here is going to push you to upgrade when you are happy with what you have. ... I'm not 100% certain, but I believe that the 11.5 combo updater includes the ability to open .docx files with no problem and without installing the converter, and .docx is one of the big things driving the upgrade to 2008. ... Note that you do not have to remove Office 2004 when you install Office 2008 --I have both on my computer. ... Because I work for a company that subscribes to the Microsoft Home Users’ Program, I was able to purchase a copy of Office 2008 for Mac for a paltry $19.95. ...
    (microsoft.public.mac.office.word)
  • Re: windows update XP SP3 patches found but will not download
    ... The new install of XP was activated and validated ... The updater worked to update to SP3 and several security patches, ... though that as soon as I installed Windows Defender that the ... updater stopped downloading the security patches. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: windows update XP SP3 patches found but will not download
    ... The new install of XP was activated and validated ... The updater worked to update to SP3 and several security patches, ... though that as soon as I installed Windows Defender that the ... updater stopped downloading the security patches. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: ad-w-a-r-e.com
    ... Before you try to remove spyware using any of the programs below, download ... to get Art's updater, SYS-UP.Zip, here for future updating of these: ... Disable Restore if you're on XP or ME (directions here: ... install and keep updated a good HOSTS file. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.ieak)